Weighting for single HP100 vs double LP-85

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HP100 is -8.4 pounds full and -0.6 pounds empty.
A single LP85 is -3.80 full and +2.32 pounds empty.
Double LP85s are -7.6 lbs full and +4.64 pounds empty.

Seems like I won't make major changes to the weight I carry. Does that sound correct?

total ballast required will be less for the double 85's due to the weight of the manifold, bands, and extra first stage, probably a few pounds worth, but essentially no real change. This is assuming you do not use a stainless single tank adapter for your singles

This is assuming you do not use a stainless single tank adapter for your singles

I do indeed use the Halcyon stainless STA. It appears to weigh 2.4 lbs.

I took an intro to doubles, but we only used double AL80s in a pool. I'm comfortable with reaching my valves, but I don't know where to start with my weights. It sounds like I should keep the weight the same.

With a HP100:
  • 20 lb lead
  • 6 lb Halcyon stainless backplate
  • 2.4 lb Halcyon STA

I do indeed use the Halcyon stainless STA. It appears to weigh 2.4 lbs.

I took an intro to doubles, but we only used double AL80s in a pool. I'm comfortable with reaching my valves, but I don't know where to start with my weights. It sounds like I should keep the weight the same.

With a HP100:
  • 20 lb lead
  • 6 lb Halcyon stainless backplate
  • 2.4 lb Halcyon STA

I would recommend staying with the same ballast for both configurations as it shouldn't be much different, but if you're wearing all of that lead plus the plate/STA then you must be somewhere REALLY cold as that is a ton of lead. If that is the case, then you should look at the HP tanks instead of LP tanks since they will help take some of that lead away

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom