weight...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uh...thanks! Never know when that info might come in handy :)

Hehehe Yeah,

I just figured that information out myself recently. I was having trouble finding a sportinggoods store I could get to that sold lead shot. (Seems most sportin good stores have stopped carrying it because it has gotten to the point where it is cheaper in my area to buy premade shells than to make your own) I considered using BB's in making my soft weights as a substitute to the lead shot. However, Price per pound is cost prohibitive to go the BB route.

Not shooting my eye out,

SpyderTek

Daisy has a bulk deal for organized shooting training groups.

Last time I bought 50 pounds it was a shade over a dollar a pound. Be aware that BBs will rust in seawater.

BTW Daisy also makes the little pellets that go in claymore mines. A bit bigger at about .25 cal with a center rib.

Cast lead bulks about half per pound what shot lead does. Unless you HAVE to have shot to fit your rig, wheelweights can be had cheap (~$0.10/lb), and reformed into sheet lead quite easily with minimum tools.

The "non-tocic" shot for waterfowl BS has eliminated the larger shot sizes ideal for soft weights from common circulation. # 4 and larger were normally used on ducks and geese. Now those critters are shot at with steel or bismuth shot at several times the cost, for no benefit to either the wildlife or environment. Junk science stikes again! Reloading lead for target or upland use is still cost effective if you want premium shell performance.

FT

I picked up the 30 lbs of bb's at Walmart for about $1.50 / lb. They are zinc coated steel. That way, I will not rot away in the salt (really lame attempt at marine industry humor - galvanic corrosion). I couldn't find a source local for shot or bulk lead. I just can't see spending twice that for lead shot in a bag. BB's in a zip lock, vacuum packed, and into my Ranger's weight pouches, inside the ripcord pocket... can't weight to try it out! (pun).

I paid $15.99 for twenty-five (25) pounds of number 7 1/2 lead shot. That comes out to about $0.67 per pound after NJ sales tax of 6%. On the negative side, the bag is labled with about a page worth of DO NOT's due to poisonious substances.

Do NOT Eat, Drink, Etc etc..while handling this material. Do not reuse this bag for other purposes. Etc etc.

I washed all the shot before use.

SpyderTek

Originally posted by CMcNally
BB's in a zip lock, vacuum packed, and into my Ranger's weight pouches, inside the ripcord pocket... can't weight to try it out! (pun).

If you don't allow the shot to free flood you may have a couple of surprises. Free flooded cast or shot lead translates 91% of the metal's weight to negative buoyancy. Free flooded steel only translates 87% of it's weight to negative buoyancy. Uniform size shot, even vacuum packed, is half void. This translates to 43% negative for steel and 46% negative for lead. Be sure to take this into account when sizing your shot bags.

Also be aware that "silver" BBs are electroplated with zinc. It's real thin and won't last long.

FT

Originally posted by SpyderTek

I washed all the shot before use.

SpyderTek

Most, if not all, of what you got off the shot was the graphite coating used to allow the shot to flow through packaging and reloacing machines.

Any frangible lead oxide will be generally white or yellow.

FT

You can also get lead shot sometimes from indoor shooting ranges. Just ask if you can sweep up and see what they say. Ranges are also good places to the the bagged shot. That's where I get mine. You may have to drive a little to find one though.

Blessings and safe diving,
Tom
http://www.scuba-accessories.com

Back
Top Bottom