weight to use in a pool with 3mil suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys!

I've got a brand new 3mil jumpsuit that I will be taking to Hawaii in June. I don't think I'll have time to get in any real diving in it before we leave due to the water temps here (Las Vegas--currently the lake is 51 degrees).

Now, it could be that I may be able to get some dives in during May and early June before we leave, but I'm thinking that I could drop into the local Y (I'm a member) which has a 12-foot deep bottom in their pool to get some compression time on the suit before I leave. Just put some weights on, drop to the bottom and come up, doing that a number of times. They will allow me to do that, but I can't wear my bc or tank.

In the past, in the ocean, I've used 12 lbs of weight with a well-used 3mil suit. Does anyone know how much weight I would need to sink down to the bottom of the pool without a tank or bc and still be able to rise again? (I don't want to become a memorial at the bottom of their pool :D)

Thanks!

You will need less weight in the pool then in salt water. It's really dependent on a couple factors:
1. Your body fat index.
2. The buoyancy of your particular gear.
I'm 5'10" and 240lbs. I usually use 12lbs with a 3mm in saltwater and 8lbs in a pool or lake. I use a wing/ backplate with 19cf pony. Everybody is different .

That plan sounds dangerous. Maybe a better plan is not worry about the wetsuit compression and just swim in it a handful of times. This will help a bit with "new suit buoyancy".

I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt preparing for a great vacation. Think safety.

You don't have to wear the new suit. Just put some weight in it and throw it in. It will compress without the danger of you getting stuck at the bottom. You can then remove the weight in manageable amounts.

For me in a pool, with my 3 mm suit on, I needed 4 pounds, 2 got me down, but it took a long time, with 4 I could control my descent with breath control. The last time i was in salt water with the same suit on, i needed 12 to 14 pounds.

I like the idea of weighting your suit and letting it sit at the bottom for a while. Lets say you are in the pool for an hour, then you can just grab your suit on your way out, and it sat on the bottom for an hour without any danger to you

Unfortunately, the pool people won't let me weight it and throw it on the bottom. As for the danger aspect, I don't get it, doesn't anyone ever practice dropping your weight belt anymore since most bcs are integrated now? If I feel like I can't push myself up the 6 feet from the surface my head will be at it I stand on the bottom, I will simply drop my weight belt and will bob to the surface like a cork.

Yeah, I don't understand this "danger" aspect stuff either. You're just talking about freediving with a few pounds of weight to compensate for a thin suit. I thought snorkelers do this all the time. I know I've done it plenty.

I agree with Dr Dog - 4# should be close. It's easy enough to set some 2# weights on the side of the pool to play with. Have fun.

As a guide the swing between fresh and salt is usually somewhere around 6lbs. Depends of course on body type assuming gear configuration is the same. You will not lose a significant amount of buoyancy due to compression with a 3mm suit. Hawaii, I'm jealous, it's winter over here, oh to be diving somewhere warm. Have fun.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I've got a brand new 3mil jumpsuit that I will be taking to Hawaii in June. I don't think I'll have time to get in any real diving in it before we leave due to the water temps here (Las Vegas--currently the lake is 51 degrees).

Now, it could be that I may be able to get some dives in during May and early June before we leave, but I'm thinking that I could drop into the local Y (I'm a member) which has a 12-foot deep bottom in their pool to get some compression time on the suit before I leave. Just put some weights on, drop to the bottom and come up, doing that a number of times. They will allow me to do that, but I can't wear my bc or tank.

In the past, in the ocean, I've used 12 lbs of weight with a well-used 3mil suit. Does anyone know how much weight I would need to sink down to the bottom of the pool without a tank or bc and still be able to rise again? (I don't want to become a memorial at the bottom of their pool :D)

Thanks!

Methinks you are overthinking this!

I guess I'm confused as to why you believe you need to get "compression time on the suit before [you] leave"? What exactly does that mean to you?

Frankly, I would just do a weight check when I get to the destination where I will be diving the suit.

JMHO,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom