weight pockets on a weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catalyst81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just went through OW and have AOW scheduled for June. My weights and rubber weight belt just arrived in the mail. I'm curious if anyone uses weight pockets on their weight belts to make it easier to adjust the placement of the weight on their bodies and easier to change the amount of weight on the belt.

It was a bit of a beast getting one or two of the weights on that rubber belt. Pockets seem like an easy way to adjust things. Any reason not to use pockets on a waist belt? DGX and XS scuba make some affordable pockets and I would probably only need two. I guess once my weight is more dialed in I may not need the pockets but it seems like a convenient option.

I've been using weight pocket belts of one sort or another for SCUBA over the last few decades. I used the belts because I have a variety of tanks and this makes it easy to adjust for differences in buoyancy. I use XS Scuba single pockets on my kit for trim and to keep the weight on my belt from getting too high.

I use a rubber belt for freediving as it has been the same weight for a long time.

Bob

I just went through OW and have AOW scheduled for June. My weights and rubber weight belt just arrived in the mail. I'm curious if anyone uses weight pockets on their weight belts to make it easier to adjust the placement of the weight on their bodies and easier to change the amount of weight on the belt.

It was a bit of a beast getting one or two of the weights on that rubber belt. Pockets seem like an easy way to adjust things. Any reason not to use pockets on a waist belt? DGX and XS scuba make some affordable pockets and I would probably only need two. I guess once my weight is more dialed in I may not need the pockets but it seems like a convenient option.

I don't think you should have a problem using weight pockets on a rubber belt. It sounds like you are going to be using some hard lead and then add a pocket or two to allow rapid fine tunning of your weights?

If that is your objective, please allow me to suggest another option that may work for you.

Quick Weights | MAKO Spearguns

quick-weight-beside-belt.jpg

This video was made with freediving in mind, but it should be just as applicable to scuba divers.

Mine has "netting" on one side. Have used it since day 1 and shortly after with suspenders, so no slipping belts and busted guts tightening it. My weights in there are hard 2 pound bullets.

You only need two bricks on a rubber weight belt.
Position the bricks on the belt so they are positioned in front of your hip bones.

They weights stay in position, and the belt doesn't slip.

I use v-weights with doubles of cam band weight pockets with singles if I need more weight; only necessary with a drysuit and heavy undergarment.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1492901570535.jpg
    FB_IMG_1492901570535.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 66
I think it should matter if you use weight belts or weight pockets. As long you know how to dump them during an emergency and you become familiar with them. I am diving with a weight belt, i love it. But the only time i was diving with weight pockets was when i was using a dry suit.

I always use the check dive to well... check my dive and adjust accordingly. I would hate it if i had to ditch weights in the water. I've played with the idea of using release pouches on a belt though, but it felt bulky. My belly is sticking out and that makes it even more uncomfortable. And I sometimes go down with things hanging on d-rings like Christmas tree. So the least things i have hanging the better. I've always have 4lbs in the trim pouch and another 4lbs threaded on a belt. But the last trip i didnt hv a belt, so i put them in the front pocket of the bc. It was freedom!!! I did notify my buddy that i dont wear a belt so that he knows to empty my pockets in case anything happens. Im comfortable now diving without a belt altogether.

I'll trade you a pocket belt for a regular weight belt.

We also have another option for quick on and off weighting. This type of weight allows you to slip the weight onto a belt between existing weights without moving them. If you wanted unditchable lead on a waist strap of a BP/W, you could also slip this on without removing the buckle.

The MAKO I- Weight..

2 Pound I Weight

MIW2-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom