Weight ideas for an AL 80 Stage Bottle.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rusty Shackleford

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Weight ideas for an AL 80 Stage Bottle.

I need Ideas. I want to be able to drop an empty AL 80 and not have it float like a balloon.

Where, how and how much weight should I attach?

About 4lbs? Something shaped like a long spine would be ideal to run along the long axis.

Also, a weighted tank boot. Does anyone still make these?

where do you need to drop it and why? That will determine the best way to figure this out

A lake I dive in. I want to scooter in, breath it down, drop it when mostly empty and switch to back gas and pick it up on the trip back.

Why don’t you tail it?
If not I’d say 4 lbs would be good, it would depend on your exact tank of course.

Unless you have a line to follow (or the vis 100ft+ is gin clear) you are likely to not find it on the way back.
If you have a line clip it next to a sturdy line tie-off. If you don't have a line and you still want to drop it an empty al80 is about +2.5-3lbs in fresh water with a reg. 4lbs on the cam band will sink it.

You could also use an N80 which is a 3300psi negative version.

@Rusty Shackleford what was said above is true. If you're following a line, just clip it to the line *what we do in caves*. If not, you really don't want to drop it unless it is at a distinct location. In that case, I'd use a 4lb clip weight that you clip to yourself, then clip the tank to it. You don't want it to to be negative the whole time, that would be really annoying and you may as well just find a LP72 and use it instead of dealing with lead but there's a reason we don't use them.
That all said, scootering with an empty AL80 is not a big deal especially if you put a bungee loop on the side of your backplate sidemount the bottle instead of letting it hang like the standard DIR setup which I can't stand. If you're really annoyed with it being sidemounted, well there are options.

In this video you can see how you "nose clip" a stage which is really just using the top clip and clipping it to your left hip d-ring. This is easy, unobtrusive, and when you're on the trigger, the tail will drop down in the slip stream. You can also use a leash to put it between your legs. Typically only done when you have multiple stages, but if you really want it off of the normal loaded position, then it's the best way
and how to make a leash

Unless you have a line to follow (or the vis 100ft+ is gin clear) you are likely to not find it on the way back.
If you have a line clip it next to a sturdy line tie-off. If you don't have a line and you still want to drop it an empty al80 is about +2.5-3lbs in fresh water with a reg. 4lbs on the cam band will sink it.

You could also use an N80 which is a 3300psi negative version.

I’ll find it on the way back, I will leave it at the foot of house boulder. Impossible to miss. All I have to do is follow a 35 foot contour and vis is usually at least 25 feet at that depth. I know that lake like the back of my hand.

Back
Top Bottom