weight dif. switching from single to doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no excuses

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a bunch of old school LP steel 72's and have a set of them doubled. Just wondering how much lead difference i should expect to change when going to doubles. I searched and it looks like the ol 72's are about a negative -1/2 to -1 pound when empty so I should not expect to change to much weight correct?? I used to dive double AL50's and loved them compared to single AL 80. I dive cold water with a dry suit if that makes a major issue.

stan..

Depending on your exposure suit you might be surprised. With a dry suit, steel backplate, and my doubled LP85s I do not use any weight. Also typically 1/3 of my gas is in reserve and is not used. Except for a fun dive where I often get two dives out my doubles and still then I do not need any weight. I have never dove my LP85 as a single but I would imagine I would probably add ~6-8lbs

Last edited:
Your manifold, bands, and additional reg might add some weight too, as will the weight of the gas in the second cylinder before it's empty... not that you'll need to change your weighting to account for the latter, but you'll likely feel it at the beginning of the dive.

When switching from a single HP 100, to doubled HP 100's, I drop 10 pounds off the weight belt.

All the best, James

sweet, thanks for all the replies. I did not figure it would be a major weight difference but its nice to have it confirmed:D

When I go from single steel 72 to double steel 72, I drop about 6 Lbs.; everything else is about the same. I do have an extra first stage in the doubles. But, I don’t use a back plate with my doubles, just a simple traditional harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom