Weight belt causing back ache.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive a SS backplate with 6lb zip tied to it with a 1lb STA, I also need 16lb on a belt. This is wearing a drysuit with a Thermal Fusion as an undergarment. My back has been aching while diving and after dives for a while now. I was considering purchasing the Zeagle ripcord system to install on my plate but then the rig would be too heavy to float it self with the 32lb wing I'm using. I would have to purchase a 40lb wing to float the rig with all the weight in it. I'm thinking I might pull out my old Ranger for the next dive to see if the weight integration helps at all. Has anyone else encountered similar issues? I love diving the BP/W and have been diving it for around eight years or so but I'm not sure what to do at this point.

have you videoed yourself to check your trim in the water? maybe your trying to arch your back too much to compensate for weight positioning. I use to have similar issue but experimented with moving weights around (quite bit) and now no longer have back problem
I have integrated weights and sidemount so a little diferant

Keep in mind that the moving weight to your backplate will change your trim... for better or worse. I hate to say this because nobody likes to hear it but strengthening your back might be the optimum solution for your long-term health. You probably notice it first after diving because you don't get to use those mussels enough in normal life.

Funny you should mention the DUI system. I just dug one out of a box that someone gave me years ago and I have never used it. I'm going to give it a shot on my next dive. Akimbo, ya I see some exercise in my future.

I can probably find some quack to write a prescription for more diving if your wife requires one.

That would be great. Then I could use my flexible spending account to pay for diving activities seeing that it is medical related. :wink:

start doing yoga and/or get on the rowing machine. Need to work those back muscles out. 16lb weight belt shouldn't be an issue. Do you have the weight in an uncomfortable area? May be able to move it around a bit so it is less painful.

I can probably find some quack to write a prescription for more diving if your wife requires one.

That would be great. Then I could use my flexible spending account to pay for diving activities seeing that it is medical related. :wink:

Your wife isn't an IRS agent is she? :confused: :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom