Weezle vs Fourth Element

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to hear from divers who have dived both Weezle and Fourth Element drysuit undergarments. Specifically I am interested in Weezle Extreme vs. Fourth Element Arctic. Until recently I was planning to buy the Weezle Extreme for very cold water, but a few days ago a diver told me that some of his friends "converted" from the Weezle Extreme to the Fourth Element Arctic.

Reasons why I like the Weezle Extreme: extreme durability, packs very small, very easy to care for.

Reasons why I like the Fourth Element Arctic: price (in my part of the globe it is cheaper than the Weezle Extreme) and relative incompressibility (it should be easier to maintain a constant level of loft in the drysuit).

Yes, I do realize that "packs very small" and "incompressibility" are mutually exclusive.

Comments, anyone?

NOTHING? Really? Are you all too busy diving?! :)

The problem with the lack of responces is, probably, that few people own both.

I've had the extreme for several years and like it. Even when wet, I'm dry. I also run a heated vest, and the extreme keeps the heat from the vest within the suit very well. Good flex and drys quickly after the dive. I put on a silk layer between my skin and the extreme, as makes taking it off easier when I'm wet. The limiting factor is when my hands get cold, even with dry gloves.

The extreme has a lot of fluff, so if your dry suit is very snug now, it might be difficult to suit up. The trick, for me, is to use the thumb loops and really pull the extreme thru the arms. No problem with the legs, etc. BTW, I use a custom made DUI that was designed for their heaviest undergarment, although I've never used theirs.

For long dives in caves, where I'll have a 1 to 2 hour deco, I use 2 layers of heavy fleece + the vest (for deco only). The extreme would be overkill for me in 72 degree F waters, but I see lots of people wearing them.

Like you, I would be interested to see the opinions of anyone who has been using both suits.

I do not have the weazle nor have I dove them. I do however have the Fourth Element Arctic undergarments. They are very nice, low bulk, and they can be washed. I dive in the north east, so water is usually cold my First year diving I wore only this and a basic cold gear type shirt/pants under it after about 15-20min in waters 45-50 or lower I started to get cold. I get cold quick and easily I also had 5mm wet gloves. Since then I have upgraded and added Drygloves which did help a lot. I also bought a set of the fouth element XT250 for the warmer dives.

My last cold water dive was Jan 1 water temp was 38F Max depth was 25-30' I wore XT250 and the Arctic with dry gloves I did 40min and was comfortable the entire dive. The bulk of the fourth element is really nice as for me it leaves room for the option to add more layers to increase warmth and still have mobility, of course depending on your drysuit this could be different I use a Bare Tri-lam.

I can't comment on the Weezel, but I too have the 4th Element Artics and am happy w/ them. I don't normally dive really cold water, but bought these to go w/ my Santi Enduro Trilam for a trip to California's Northern Channel Islands. I wore them w/ a set of Polarmax base layer polypropylene and was very comfortable in 50-51F water for multiple hour-long dives. On the dive boat, about half of the 10-12 drysuit divers had the same undergarments, so it seemed like I made the right choice.

You may want to check on The Deco Stop, there may be some more info there w/ regards to Weezles/Artics.

John

I've never dove the fourth element but from the looks of it they aren't that different from the DUI polartec suits, although they look better. I've owned a weazle extreme as well. The weazle is a freakin sleeping bag. It's super comfortable and very lofty. It "feels" light and you could sleep in it and feel like nice, warm, soft, and fluffy. However, as someone else mentioned, it makes for a more snug fit in the drysuit. I, personally, felt like it was harder to move air around in the drysuit in the sense that I felt like it took more air to make for comfortable loft. This was just perception though and I never actually tested how much air it took.

I also have a few DUI undergarments, one custom cut. They are also very comfortable but they certainly don't feel like fluffy sleeping bags. They feel more maneuverable because they don't compress and are thinner. As far as warmth goes, well I've only dove all of my undergarments in waters that got to the upper 40s/low 50s at the coldest. All of them kept me sufficiently warm and whatever differences there were in warmth, I wasn't able to tell.

Thanks all. I really appreciate the feedback, even the admittedly subjective stuff.

I got a DUI TLS 350 Signature Series (custom tailored) and specified that I wanted a looser cut for heavier undergarments. Nevertheless, I find the forearms to be tight with heavy undergarments (although my buddy, who also got a Signature Series, does not have this problem). From all of your feedback (thank you) I have determined that:

• The Fourth Dimension is likely to fit better under my drysuit;
  • Ordering online is definitely not an option since I will have to try on the suits to see how they fit under the suit.

Thanks again. Keep the advice coming.

I have dove, owned, and sold a TON of both. You will be happy and warm with either...but this is why I decided on and dive the 4th element

Weezle - Really warm and packs small - Diving, to keep you warm it relies on Loft. This means you need to add air to the suit to get the loft. Air= More weight to sink and a bigger air bubble in the suit to manage. Definitely a noticeable difference in my opinion. Fits bigger and looser on you, meaning less flexibility and more material and bulk to add under your suit.

4th Ele- Fits tighter on you, so fit is excellent and no extra material or buoyancy issues. This also helps keep you warm. No need for a lot of air to keep you warm as the material does that....BUT, if cold, add a puff or two. The 2 piece design is AWESOME for someone taller like me. It fits a lot better into a drysuit due to the slimmer fit. ....did I mention flexibility is AMAZING :)

The biggest reasons I picked 4th Ele, was because the flexibility was amazing and it literally fit like a glove.

Not sure why you can't buy it online. As long as it fits on you, it should fit under your drysuit. If the 4th Element doesn't fit, you have a suit that isn't going to fit much that will keep you warm. We have sold HUNDREDS of both undergarments online and nobody has had any issues. I decided not to sell Weezle anymore because dealing overseas was a hassle, and I really think they are inferior to other new undergarments on the market. Not Weezle in general, but loft type undergarments .

NOTHING? Really? Are you all too busy diving?! :)

Ha ha... you're spoiled... expecting a 1hr turn-around on a question :wink: Scubaboard is kinda good like that I guess!

I've dived both. Much prefer the 4th Element Approach. I found that the Weezle was more likely to block my dump valve and also catch in the drysuit zip (get shredded). It works well when 'lofted', but that means you're forced to keep lots of air in your suit. I prefer to just keep the squeeze off and have my suit more snug.

4th Element was quite warm enough and low-bulk. It also doesn't look to bad on the surface - I'd drive home afterwards in it. I couldn't do that with the weezle, as people would stare at the man 'wearing a sleeping bag'.

4th Element has other benefits - easier to machine wash, quick to dry and more robust in general.

My 'ideal' solution for REALLY cold water was a 4th Element Artic suit combo, with a Weezle waistcoat over the top. The only thing to improve that was an argon cylinder..

Thanks DRIS and DD!

Back
Top Bottom