Weezle Extreme+ vs Fourth Element SubXero

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best choice for cold water diving?which better?+and-

Had the Weezele Extreme +, used it for about 5 dives. Had to add 10lbs of lead due to the amount of air needed.......got rid of it and switched to DiveRite permaloft stuff. Same warmth, no added lead. 'Nuff said (and American made)

I've got both undersuits. I think the Weezle is a great suit, keeps you warm even when you get a full suit flood. I've heard many people talk about having to add extra lead, but when I moved on to the Weezle from an old-school 'woolly bear', I didn't add any more lead than I was normally using (in a 4mm compressed neoprene drysuit, that's around 5.5-6kg) and it kept me lovely and warm, even on hour-long-plus dives in 2-3Ž°C waters.

The Sub Xero is a fab suit, that can actually be worn apres-dive without you looking like you are wearing a big babygro, but it is designed specifically for use under a membrane/trilaminate suit. It is far too bulky for use under a neoprene suit. It is, however, exceptionally warm and comfortable.

Mark

The Weezle is less bulky than the SubXero, but for under a membrane suit, I'd be tempted to go with the SubXero with it being specifically designed for use under such suits. The Weezle would work fine as well, I know many friends who use them under membranes, but the SubXero really is a top undersuit. And like I said, you can wear it out and about pre- and apres-dive and not look a numpty. I wear the SubXero top as a normal winter jacket, looks like a ski/snowboard jacket.

Mark

one more question...The Weezle and the SubXero require same quantity of lead?

A lot of people I dive with tried the Weezle wear - many loved it and stuck with it, some found it rather bulky, didn't like the fact that you need to add more add to the suit to create the loft needed for warmth, and found that they needed to add more lead.

I liked the Weezle wear, and didn't find that I needed to add much air or any extra lead (although I am a pretty small/lean fellow and don't wear much lead to begin with).

I switched to the Fourth Element Arctic two seasons ago (because the LDS I teach for carries Fourth Element and not Weezle). I have been very happy - no bulk, different sizes of tops and bottoms (I am bigger up top - thanks P90X - than bottom). I recently tried the SubXero on an ice diving weekend and was impressed with the warmth and comfort of this suit.

I dive in a White's Polarflex drysuit, which has 2mm crushed neoprene on the bottom and a trilam material on the upper torso and arms.

My advice? If you can, try/borrow some before you buy. For most people, it seems to be a matter of preference depending on their body size, tendencies to get cold, suit material/design, diving needs, amount of air in suit, etc.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

I have maybe an extra kilo on with the SubXero, but that is purely down to the fact that it is a substantial suit, so not really too much difference between the two.

Both are great suits. As suggested above, if you can borrow both and try 'em out, you could see what was going to suit you personally.

The Fourth Element Xerotherm Arctic is worth looking at as well. I have that and the normal Xerotherm, and it is great to be able to mix and match tops, bottoms and socks depending on the temperature I will be diving in. I also use the tops when I am mountain-biking!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom