Weekday Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiggins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for recommendations for weekday dive ops in California. I have Mon-Fri off next week and California looks attractive. I have 200ish dives logged, although they have mostly been in tropical water, so I'm looking for an operator or buddy with experience. I can be in either SFO/MRY, SAN, or LAX areas and wouldn't be opposed to going farther north, but would need to rent cold water gear.

Any suggestions?

Monterey area diver here. You can hire a DM to go shore diving from any of the Monterey shops - Aquarius, Bamboo Reef, Breakwater. I don't have a specific recommendation, but in the NorCal forum there is a recent thread full of recommendations. Im not sure if any local boats go out weekdays, maybe on Friday.

You can also look for local buddies for weekday dives. They are harder to find on weekdays, but still possible, and you may also be able to get someone to drive if you kick in for gas.

I recommend you use both the Meetup.com website and app and facebook. Ive found these more responsive than scubaboard for finding buddies. Ive arranged several weekday dives this way.

For Monterey area: Meetup has the San Francisco Scuba Diving & the Bay Area Scuba Lovers groups, and facebook has the Monterey Bay Scuba Divers Open, and other groups as well. I imagine both resources also have LA area groups/ pages.

Good luck.

Monterey area diver here. You can hire a DM to go shore diving from any of the Monterey shops - Aquarius, Bamboo Reef, Breakwater. I don't have a specific recommendation, but in the NorCal forum there is a recent thread full of recommendations. Im not sure if any local boats go out weekdays, maybe on Friday.

You can also look for local buddies for weekday dives. They are harder to find on weekdays, but still possible, and you may also be able to get someone to drive if you kick in for gas.

I recommend you use both the Meetup.com website and app and facebook. Ive found these more responsive than scubaboard for finding buddies. Ive arranged several weekday dives this way.

For Monterey area: Meetup has the San Francisco Scuba Diving & the Bay Area Scuba Lovers groups, and facebook has the Monterey Bay Scuba Divers Open, and other groups as well. I imagine both resources also have LA area groups/ pages.

Good luck.
Great info, I'll check out those groups. Thank you!

Is San? San Diego? There's always somebody shorediving diving LaJolla Cove - even weekdays it can be hard to find parking in the summer. This is old and most of the shops listed have closed but it gives you an idea.
www.divebums.com

There's less options for boat diving but there are a few. If you could find someone doing a 2 day to Los Coronados Islands, that should be pretty warm - it's on the US/MX border. Fun also, the sea lions love to play. Not overly deep either. If you do both shore/boat dives you'll need a car - LaJolla is the northern end of San Diego and the boats are all based near Mission Beach. You can find many more reasonable hotel options in the MB area also, LaJolla is pricier.

I'd also consider LA/OC. There's about a dozen popular shore dives in the area and probably 2 dozen boats out of Long Beach/San Pedro - some must be running trips during the week although it's often long weekends on the bigger boats. Contact Beach Cities Scuba for the shore options or here's the boat list: California Dive Boats : The Official Page
The shore dive sites: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: California South, USA West

There's not much diving around SFO afaik - most go to Monterey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom