Week 1 update, post surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
Home from my surgery in the recovery phase now. I posted a lengthy description of the events in the Florida Conch section. If any one is interested it is in the thread about diving Destin Jetties March 27th. No point retyping it over.

Just to say though I am glad it is over and it is so good to be home. I am one lucky lady to be alive, that thyroid gland was going to kill me one day. Seriously, you need to read to believe it.

Well, I weighed myself and I actually have not lost or gained anything the last few days. Probably I lost some and I am just restabilizing.

Hope everyone else is doing good.

Cindy, It's great to see you back. Take care of yourself.

Glad to see that you came through the surgery well. Heal well and completely!

-Frank

Cindy:
I missed your thread on this. Can we have the link?
Glad you're back!

Hey Cindy - I can feel for ya with surgery, I'm in that recovery stage to.. trying to get back into a little routine again to drop some of the tonnage I aquired while incapacatated as well, but its not so easy... I hope you have a speeeedy recovery!!

I can honestly say I don't like the new boards. I am finding it harder to navigate around to find what I want. I am computer challenged and this is even more challenging.

Ok, now that is off my chest, I am going to post my surgical report here since I can't figure out how to link it to the forum/sub-forum/correct thread that I previously posted it in. Geez, I need to take a computer course to learn how to use the boards now.

My surgery was last Monday, March 21. I had 90% of my thyroid gland removed. It has been growing larger for the last 6 years, I tested positive for autoimmune thyroid antibodies which meant my body was attacking it as if it were a foreign body and caused inflammation in it. The thyroid was attempting to fight back by enlarging and putting me into a hyperthyroid state that was swinging to hypothyroid and back all the time.

The actual surgery lasted about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I spent one night after the surgery in the hospital and came home Tues. 3/22 in the morning. My surgeon told me the surgery was more complicated than he anticipated, because I had a birth defect formed thyroid gland, as it never developed into 4 separate lobes shaped like a butterfly or bow tie. It was one solid mass that went from my collar bone and spread almost to both ears. The left side had tried to grow a lobe that was like a tennis ball sitting up on that side. The right side was compressing my right carotid artery and the center was firmly attached and wrapped to the trachea, causing some compression also. Both of the vocal cord nerves that run parrallel to the trachea were pushed deep into my neck and way off to the sides. My incision had to be made across the top of my collar bone to allow enough room for the removal of the gland. The incision had 13 staples across, and it was about 10 cm in length.

I was told that I would be hoarse for a couple of days, or if there were damage to the nerves for the vocal cords I could have a permanent voice problem. Much to my surprise when I was waking in recovery I recognized the nurse taking care of me, and without even any thought I spoke and asked if that was Rhonda? Excited I realized my voice was very normal, not hoarse. At that time I did not know how extensive things had been. Now I am truly amazed at how I did.

I saw my surgeon yesterday and he removed the staples, the incision looks really good and is healing well. He has it completely covered right now with steri strips that will fall off in a few days. I am not to drive for another week or do any strenuous work, no turning my head to the sides or stooping. No reaching over my head. He told me I must protect the incision, to prevent damage to the muscles as they heal and to keep the scar from not healing. Once the steri strips are off I am to rub Vitamin E oil on it daily to help lighten it and shrink it down.

I can not do any diving until June. But that is ok, I am so excited now and thankful for the surgery. He literally saved my life, I could have had so many various ways of dying from it. The first thing that I thought was, my God, compression of my carotid artery, I could have had a stroke or died diving. I am so lucky and feel very blessed to have not had a fatal event from it. Or I could have been like that poor girl with the brain damage living in a vegetative state.

Next week I can start back on a walking schedule and do more with weight loss. Right now I just want to get better.

Glad to hear things came out ok. Fun getting the staples out wasnt it??
Dont try to do too much too soon.

Happy healing...rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom