Weedy Seadragons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjibber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

We will be travelling by car from Melbourne to Sydney in the middle to end of November. We are not planning on much diving in that time but if possible would like to do a few dives to try and see Weedy Seadragons.

Is this a good time of year to be looking for them? I realise that you are not guaranteed to see them anywhere but are the chances better in Melbourne, Sydney or somewhere in between?

As well as location, any recommendations for dive operators would be useful. We are both dive masters and are happy diving on our own but if diving with a guide increases our chances of finding seadragons then we are also happy with this option.

Thanks!

Kurnell in Sydney also very good, the Leap or the Steps dive location. I saw 4 there 2 weeks ago

As has already been mentioned flinders pier just out of Melbourne. Whilst you can’t guarantee sighting of sea creatures you can pretty much can guarantee weedy sighting at flinders. What you can’t guarantee is the weather conditions, it’s a pretty open spot, so allow a couple of days for diving.

There are often large smooth rays under there as well. Small but Beautiful site.

Good point about the weather at Flinders, I have found anything out of the south or west to be ok, but north or east it can be uncomfortable

MA:
North is normally ok. But sometimes you never know until you’re there!
Any recommendations for a DS ?
We will be there in April/May next year, but as it will a long trip al together we will not bring our own gear

Any recommendations for a DS ?
We will be there in April/May next year, but as it will a long trip al together we will not bring our own gear
Plenty of good options, and only basic gear is required. Aquatic Adventures in Rowville and Diveline in Frankston are both between Melbourne and Flinders. So is Ocean Divers in Bentleigh East (but a bit closer to the city), and they run regular clean-up dives at Flinders. And Academy of Scuba in Camberwell (closer again to the city) is good too.
I can recommend all of those shops, and they will all happily rent you equipment. They may even happen to be running guided dives at the site if you plan on diving on a weekend.
There are other good shops too, but they may be a bit out of the way. And others I don't have personal experience with.
The dive itself is easy and no need for a guide if you're comfortable diving without one - pier or beach entry and about 4m max depth if you keep to the pier. You'll likely see other divers in the car park. The site is pretty well protected but avoid southerly or eastern winds since that can ruin your visibility and fun.

Elmo has covered it perfectly. And aquatic adventures is really easy to get to just off the freeway. They are new owners so the gear should all be in pretty good nick too.

Post here when you’re diving, if I’m around I might join you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom