Question Webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Blaylock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently ordered 10 yards of webbing from strap works on Amazon. I am planning to use it for my harness on my BP/W, but I realized after it arrived that I ordered polypropylene and not nylon. Will this be ok for a standard back plate and wing set up, or should I just send it back and reorder the nylon?

I recently ordered 10 yards of webbing from strap works on Amazon. I am planning to use it for my harness on my BP/W, but I realized after it arrived that I ordered polypropylene and not nylon. Will this be ok for a standard back plate and wing set up, or should I just send it back and reorder the nylon?
Let me first preface this with my primary experience with webbing has been in a terrestrial setting and not in a diving setting.

However, having worked with ropes of various composition in both the terrestrial and marine environment I think there's some things worth considering.

Each has its place and purpose

The characteristics of each material will dictate how it holds up under certain conditions. For example polypropylene tends to be stiff also tends to be negatively buoyant whereas nylon tends to absorb water and stretch a little bit.

Both can become stiff and brittle over time in the marine environment and in the sun.

Polypro is often used in weight belts because it is stiffer while nylon is used where its supleness is needed.

Personally I prefer polyester as it holds up to more abuse over a long period of time IMHO.

Polypro or Nylon is less important than if the material is impregnated with a stiffening coating, which is common in Scuba applications. Impregnated webbing is noticeably stiffer and resists fraying due to abrasion more than softer unimpregnated webbing.

Most divers prefer that additional stiffness on harnesses because it keeps the shoulder loops more open and easier to don than softer material. It also keeps weight belts from twisting as much when donning.

Edit: Soft webbing can be desirable when diving with no thermal protection because impregnated webbing is more abrasive on bare skin.

I tried both soft flexible webbing and stiff stands-on-its-own webbing. The soft webbing was too wimpy when trying to put on my BP/W, so I got rid of it and resigned myself to the stiff webbing

I am using softer webbing on all my harnesses. The shoulder webbing only matters out of the water. When in the water, most of the work is done by waist and crouch strap. I would just pick what feels comfortable to you for donning, doffing and moving out of the water.

I use the patterned poly webbing from strap works... It is perfectly fine, but it is super floppy (it won't hold the shoulder straps open on it's own, like "scuba" straps will). If you don't mind the bit of extra effort putting it on, it's no big deal.
Respectfully,

James

You think you want floppy soft webbing but you really do not. Floppy, soft webbing is difficult to slide into and wants to fall off the shoulders and is actually less comfortable. Medium stiff or stiff is what is wanted. If you need some padding get the neoprene sleeves. Stiff holds shape, the shoulder loops stay open so that the arms can drop through and the reverse to get out.

James

This is my most recent source of harness webbing: Hardware - Webbing - 2'' Stiff Webbing - Northeast Scuba Supply Store
It works fine and is usually stocked in multiple colors which I like. Before making my harness, I roll it up and soak it in a pan of diluted fabric softener. It really doesn’t soften it much…just enough to make it a bit easier to work with plus it makes your rig smell nice for a handful of dives. 😊 If I want a bit of padding or abrasion protection, I use kayak paddle grips which are just small neoprene sleeves that thread nicely over 2” webbing. They also make them with Velcro so you can move/apply them without disassembling your harness. Good luck. YMMV :clearmask:

Thank you for the info everyone. I ended up picking up some from a dive shop local to me and this is how it came out

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_083320_01.jpg
    IMG_20220721_083320_01.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 93
Thank you for the info everyone. I ended up picking up some from a dive shop local to me and this is how it came out
Pretty webbing, great rigging, but this is the soft webbing. I would advise you to try doffing and donning this BP/W in a pool with your eyes closed before diving it in more challenging conditions, (as in, if I were your Mom, I would insist you give it a thorough test out.
Edit to add: I realize This post is approaching that evangelical, polarizing, commenting state that ends with, “ my way is the only way” and others may not agree, so it is just my feeling about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom