Webbing Tutorial??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buds

Registered
Reaction score
Was wondering is there a "how to Web a backplate" tutorial on line ??
Im putting together my wing system and i was wondering is there a kind of "DO's and Donts" Guide some where i could study??????? or Compare?

Thanks Rob

gfisher4792, you beat me to it. I was going to recommend the same site.

buds:
Was wondering is there a "how to Web a backplate" tutorial on line ??
Im putting together my wing system and i was wondering is there a kind of "DO's and Donts" Guide some where i could study??????? or Compare?

Thanks Rob

this should be taken as my own PERSONAL opinion and should have no bearing on the general OPINIONS of this board.

While I feverently LOVE my backplate, the hogarthian style single piece webbing had to go. Why? Well, you can't adjust the shoulder straps at depth. So basically you have to pull it super tight at the beginning of the dive, and if you go under, let's say 80-90 feet, your whole rig gets a little loose.

I ended up moving to a dive rite transplate, although there are a lot of competitors to the transplate harness around.

DON'T web the plate until all of the corners that the webbing will be in contact with are rounded. I bought an unfinished stainless plate for my singles setup, and didn't round the corners off. The plate is cutting into the webbing, & the webbing will soon be due for replacement. On the aluminum plate that I use for my doubles, the corners were not as sharp. Just as an added bit of protection, I put pieces of bike tire tube about 2" long on the webbing where it passes through the slots. After maybe 30 dives, I haven't noticed any wear. An added benefit of this is that it tends to "lock" the webbing into the slot, so you shouldn't experience your webbing self-adjusting.

This might be a bit off topic here, but ZBoss commented that he found his single web'd bp too loose. I had thought that the rig should be loose fitting to help if you needed to pull your tanks up to get to the valves or to get out of the rig itself.

Curious what the thoughts are on this?

Cheers

Particularily diving doubles in a "technical manner", you MUST be able to reach your valves without pulling the tanks up, or any other such time consuming procedure. Even in a single tank configuration, it is comforting to know that you can reach the valve, just in case you have a slow brain day & jump in with your tank valve off. Configure your gear so that you can control your life support supply.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom