Webbing - polyprop versus nylon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to buy new harness webbing for my BP/W kit. I will probably also build myself a separate weight/trim harness and maybe even some DIY weight pouches.
Any opinions about whether polyprop or nylon is better? Why?

Polypropylene is degraded by sunlight and is not as strong or as abrasion resistant as nylon. Stick with nylon

OK, thanks! :)

There is lots of webbing available that will not be appropriate for BP harness because it is too thin and too soft. I tried some of the "heavy duty" stuff from ebay and it is not really suitable for harness material. So you may just have to stick with the scuba suppliers of real heavy duty stuff. Even there, you will find some variance in softness. I prefer the stiff stuff as it holds its shape better for donning but you may find the somewhat softer stuff to be a bit more comfortable, particularly if you use a crotch strap.

Back
Top Bottom