Webbing Materinal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldsmoke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I am just setting up my harness and have purchased some webbing from a local backpack manufacturer. It is pretty stiff but not like a weight belt. My keepers aren't holding - as I figured - anyway it was the most stiff I could get locally and I was anxious to get started. I am able to hold the d-ring keepers in place if I follow a different patter thru the keepers, however, I am unable to do this for the keepers that hold the shoulder straps in place in the lower slots of the backplate. I have read some conflicting posts about the prefered webbing material. Some say weight belt stuff others say they liked the softer better.

I am hoping to get a little more discussion as to what people prefer. If you prefer a softer material please let me know where you got it from. Thanks.

coldsmoke:
Hi All,

I am just setting up my harness and have purchased some webbing from a local backpack manufacturer. It is pretty stiff but not like a weight belt. My keepers aren't holding - as I figured - anyway it was the most stiff I could get locally and I was anxious to get started. I am able to hold the d-ring keepers in place if I follow a different patter thru the keepers, however, I am unable to do this for the keepers that hold the shoulder straps in place in the lower slots of the backplate. I have read some conflicting posts about the prefered webbing material. Some say weight belt stuff others say they liked the softer better.

I am hoping to get a little more discussion as to what people prefer. If you prefer a softer material please let me know where you got it from. Thanks.

"Weightbelt webbing" is resin reinforced, i.e. after it's woven it's impregnated with a resin. This fills the weave and makes the webbing stiff and very resistant to distorting on the bias. (Also makes it smell extra nasty when you heat seal it)

Having said that, there are a couple different makers of webbing, and there is a degree of variation from one "Resin reinforced" to another.

If the webbing is not reinforced I would expect the hardware to slip.

Good luck,

Tobin

There are different weights of resin-reinforced webbing, and some people prefer the stiffer and some of us prefer the thinner and more flexible. My first encounter with more flexible webbing was the Halcyon stuff, which I think is just about perfect if it didn't have blue H's on it. I've since found some similar webbing through my LDS, but I don't know where they get it.

Have you checked the Classified section here? :D

I like parachute webbing [soft & strong] for a lot of stuff but then we use different hardware that isn't suitable for saltwater use. http://www.paragear.com
Where there's a will there's a way though, you can try to double up on the keepers, experiment with an alternate threading, and / or even throw a couple bar tacks on the webbing to hold things where you want them.
A dive kit usually needs a harness awl, or at least a big needle & some unwaxed dental floss. :wink:

I purchased the softer (thinner) webbing and I have about decided to replace mine with the stiffer stuff since my d-rings are slipping.

Mike

I was using the stiffer Nylon webbing and didn't like it, so I got some Heavyweight Polypropylene webbing from www.strapworks.com. Havn't had a problem with d-rings or keepers slipping with it, and it is alot nicer to wear than the nylon

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom