Webbing for harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GF99/99

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked befor ahead of time.

Anyways its time for new harness webbing, so all I need is the webbing material no hardware. I was looking at Strap Works since they sell there products on amazon. looks like they have three kinds Polypropylene, Flat Nylon, Polyester. And all come is various thickness.

My main question is what material is best and what thickness? I did see that they have a "scuba nylon webbing" however the thickness says is 0.80" this seems extremely thick I'm worried it will be to stiff??

Thanks

Easiest option is to just contact your favorite retailer that sells BP/W and ask for webbing. They will have the correct stuff and there’s no guessing if a certain type from a non-diving source will work for diving.

I think you meant .08"
This is the std thickness of webbing I have from Dive Rite and others.
DR states theirs is nylon. That seems pretty generic though.
I have purchased from strapworks before (non diving) and they are g2g.
As others have posted, Piranha Mfg is a good option.

For those coming in and to the OP. Strapworks standard nylon webbing is not resin impregnated. It's going to feel and act like a car seatbelt. Won't hold any position on your triglides and your D-ring positions will keep slipping when tugged. With some cases your belt buckle won't even hold because the webbing is so thin and doesn't allow the buckle teeth to dig in.

Strapworks description of nylon being poor for water conditions due to stretch and polyester being a better alternative is correct. But you can also solve this disadvantage by adding resin to the nylon.

Typical scuba webbing is resin impregnated and also typically 1-7/8in width; not a true 2in width. So if you do source from Strapworks you'll want to get the 1-7/8in Scuba Nylon Webbing.

Different sources will get you different pliability. Last time I looked here was the breakdown for More pliable - Less pliable when wet. Read: more pliable = softer/sloppy; less pliable = stiffer and holds shape.
Stiff webbing holds it's shape and makes gearing up/off easier. But adjusting it when dry is a huge pain.
Soft webbing is more comfortable if you're just in a rashguard. But in an extreme case can be so sloppy that you're tangling yourself when getting into it.

DiveRite; Halcyon; Dive Gear Express; Strapworks; Dive Rite in Scuba; Piranha

Back in 2012, folks on the board here said DiveRite tended to be too pliable when wet and D-rings could slip out of position when on the boat bench. I'm not sure if they've changed it since then.
Piranha does not soften when wet. I personally don't like it for harness webbing and just use it for weight belts and knife sheaths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom