Webbing and wing help needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spacemanspiff1974

Contributor
Reaction score
Just ordered my hammerhead backplate so that part of the equation is finished. However I do have a question about my webbing and a wing issue.

For webbing I ended up buying 2" nylon tube webbing (looks like flat webbing) from a local store that specializes in climbing gear. They said that this stuff is very strong (better be to keep you from falling off a cliff) and that it does not stretch in water. Can anyone see any problem with this type of material for a harness?

The second question is regarding a choice of wing. I dive warm water (salt) with a shorty at most. I am 5'9" 155 lbs and my backplate should weigh approx 7 lbs including the 2 piece STA.

I'm guessing I'll want around 30 lbs of lift capacity. Right now I am looking at three different wings for this setup. The dive rite venture wing, the DSS 30 lb wing and the oxycheq signature 30 lb wing.

Any preferences?

You may check to see what wings fit the holes on what plates. Oxycheq wings and Halcyon ss plates are compatable. (11 inches center to center on the mounting holes) Or you may have to drill some new holes if they don't line up.
I dive warm water too with a full 3 mm mostly. I have a 6 lb bp and a 30 lb wing. There's others here that know a lot more though.

While it may not stretch more when wet, I'd suspect that being tubular and for climbing, it has a lot of inherent stretch. Stretch is bad on BP webbing.

30 lb will be plenty of lift. I adapted a DR travel wing (before Venture available) to my BP and it is fine. You shouldn't need much if any weight with your rig. A steel tank will probably leave you a few lb negative which need not be a problem.

30 lbs of lift is plenty. I dive the oxycheq wing and my wife the DSS. I've used both and really don't have a preference. The DSS doesn't require a single tank adapter (STA). Not sure if you ordered the STA with your plate or not.

I think you are going to have issues getting the webbing you bought to work. It will be too thick and too floppy. What you want looks like your car's seatbelt webbing, but is stiffer. I would just order the Hammerhead webbing kit or find another place to buy the correct webbing. The kit will include all of the hardwear you need to finish the rigging although it lacks a well-made crotch strap. If you have access to a sewing machine that is easy to fix.

I should also say that my hammerhead plates (I have the steal and AL) line up with just fine with either of the wings I mentioned. No drilling required. Holes are 11 inches apart which is pretty much standard.

Back
Top Bottom