wearing a skin or vest under a semidry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a hollis semidry suit that has been doing a great job for me, and given that 90% of my dives are warm water, I don't have an interest in purchasing a drysuit at the moment (just to get that out of the way).

Usually when I dive, I wear a Mako dive skin under my wetsuits. I also have a Henderson aqualock 3 mil hooded vest. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience wearing a dive skin or vest under a semidry suit. This suit has seals in the forearms and shins, along with a neck dam to reduce water flow. Will wearing a skin reduce the effectiveness of the seals? I'm not sure if they require contact with skin to work well, or if the fabric running under them will allow water to infiltrate via capillary action. Also, while the current setup I think will take me to 60 degrees or maybe 55 degrees no problem, if I start to get close to 50, maybe adding the vest would help (unless it allows more water to flow, reducing its usefulness).

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

The vest is now the seal with the addition of a hood

you will never ever know, until you go and have a go

or you cut the forearms and shins along with hood off

full.jpg

Back
Top Bottom