Wear wetsuit for confined water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate cold water and get cold easily, so believe me I thought about wearing a shorty. I was relieved to hear that the pool I was to do my OW in was HEATED (sweeet!), however was bummed to arrive and overhear someone say that it was turned off (bummer!). I broght a shorty just in case, but didn't need it (I wore it on the last portion of the pool class). Bring it in your bag so you can throw it on if you want to wear it. You paid your money, wear what you want- that's my thoughts...

:guitar:

My pool was heated as well. Plus the lds i took lessons from provided absolutely everything i needed. There was none of this...the lessons are $1...the gear you need is $400.....

It isnt a bad idea heated pool or not to wear what you plan to dive in.....it give you an opportunity to get used to it. My recommendation is that once you have gotten your c card...get back in the pool and practice. During classes you have so much on your mind.....so much is new....anxiety is up. Go back to the pool and relax and get used to either the gear you buy...or rental gear. Never dive with totally new gear you are not totally familiar with....can have disastrous results.

In the pool, wear whatever you'll be wearing when you do your open-water checkout dives. You'll be used to it: no surprises and no additional task loading getting used to the exposure suit, hood, gloves, etc.

Be careful of becoming too overheated. During the last two pool sessions during my OW, we wore full 7mm, gloves, hood, etc. The pool is kept at 90 degrees F. I became so overheated I almost passed out.

The pool we use for classes is heated but sometimes it's kind of cold anyway. I get cold easy so I always wear a wet suit and student that get cold wear one also. I supply the suit if they need it.

I try to get first throught he first pool session or so with students not wearing a wet suit. It seems to simplify the process of getting used to the equipment.

As others said it's a good idea to finish up your pool sessions in the wet suit you'll be using in OW so you have a chance to get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom