We have no shortage of them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We have to breed some very stupid people up here.

I get off work this morning a little after 0830. Seeing how it’s Friday for me I get on one of my trikes and go for a ride.

The one I took is a new model and the more I ride the little rocket the more I like it.
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/gt3.html

It gets a lot of attention, as do most recumbent bikes and trikes. So it’s not unusual for people to stop me or come over when I stop and start up a conversation.

Today I went for a quick 30 mile trip taking a break at Corbin Park along the Spokane River. You should remember that place as we get a lot of dive calls there.

I stop on the boat ramp and I’m looking at the river when this homeless looking humanoid, maybe 25 years old at best approaches and starts talking about the trike. He has a couple of them. :shakehead: After a couple of minutes he asks if I’m a diver. I say yes. He noticed my dive watch and thought he’d ask.

He asked how long I’ve been diving and I gave my usual response of, not very long. That has always led to some interesting conversations.

Then he proceeds to tell me he was INCHARGE of the Post Falls County Dive Team. I’m sure I had the deer in the headlights look :confused: but I asked him what that was all about. I got quite an education.

I had no idea that you could be a diver for as long as he was at his age. I was amazed. I also didn’t know you could, with special Rescue Diver training, breathe Liquid Oxygen for real deep dives on Coeur d’Alene Lake which is a bottomless lake.:dork2:

I asked what he did for a living. He doesn’t have a regular job but he gets paid Very Well by the city for his rescue skills saving peoples lives in the water.

You been here very long? No, I’m thinking about moving to Idaho but I live in Spokane right now. I have to do rescues in both areas. How the hell long does it take you to get from there to here? Not long the fly me all over by helicopter.:dork2: :dork2:

He finally asks, after digging a very nice hole, he asks, what do you do? Not much, I’m a Deputy Sheriff and I’ve been on the COUNTY Dive Team for a lot longer than you have been alive. Now the deer in the headlights look was on the other side.:rofl3:

Then, as if it was a scripted maneuver his cell phone rings. I know I’m old and my hearing might not be as good as it used to be but I didn’t hear it. Besides it looked like he just found it on the beach or out of a dumpster. I don’t think that thing has worked sense the prior owner flushed it down the toilet.:mooner:

He excused himself saying he had to take this important call and walked off.

This was almost a good as the shipmate that came into the diving locker telling us about the time he came across a shark with moss on his teeth at 600’. It was dark so he came back to the boat, got a flashlight and went back to get a better look at the shark. Hummmm, I didn’t think you got narced on the surface without some help from a can or bottle.

That did start my day off with a good laugh.:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Gary D.

OMG thats so funny. There have been a couple times in my past where people have told outrageous dive storyies that were obviously lies but that takes the cake. Enjoy your time off.

Sweet! That is really funny.

I'm going to have to try that line: "Not very long..."

i have noticed stupid people here too, so i don't think you have a monopoly. see people all the time with stories of being undercover agents and such, but they have an excuse as they are VERY 10-96.

We call 'em signal 20's

I need to look into this liquid oxygen thing. Think he's an instructor?

mike_s:
Maybe he watched the movie The Abyss

That was some sort of oxygenated fluorocarbon. It's actually real stuff, although I don't know if anybody really uses it. I saw a video with lab mice breathing it.

Must be freaky to breathe.

Terry

Web Monkey:
That was some sort of oxygenated fluorocarbon. It's actually real stuff, although I don't know if anybody really uses it. I saw a video with lab mice breathing it.

Must be freaky to breathe.

Terry

Also known as "Fluorinert".

We used it where I used to work.

However, not for diving or breathing. We used it to cool electronics equipment. You can submerg electronics equipment in it that gets really hot and it doesn't conduct electricity. Therefore you can run circuit boards in it submerged. Then you use a heat exchanger to cool the liquid (Fluorinert). We used it to cool CPU's and electronics boards in super-computers.

We actually had an 110v electric radio in an aquarium to show people how it worked at one of our sites (Speakers weren't in aquarium). We could plug it in and drop it into the liquid and it'd work just great.

It's actually made by 3M. I was told it was tested as a possible subsitute for "artificial blood" because oxygen is really soluable in it. I'm sure that can be found with google somewhere.

There's also been tests of oygenated Fluorinert used with rats and they were able to survive in it for short periods........ (BTW.. there is all kinds of different mixtures/blends of Fluorinert. i don't know what they used for these type tests).

Now... before anyone goes and "tries this at home" making their own Fluorinert Nitrox blend. Fluorinert is a hydrocarbon. Trying to add pure oxygen to it could lead to interesting results. I don't expect many folks will try it anyway. it's not like you can buy it at Walmart.

There have been several threads on the stuff. A quick search would provide lots of reading.

Gary,
That is funny as all get out.

I understand that they invented the tooth brush up there where you live.

This was such a funny story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom