Ways to get buddy's attention?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New to forum and thought I'd start by posting a poll of sorts.
How do you get your dive buddy's attention?
When getting certified my instructor used a small cow bell attached to his BCD. I found it extremely effective.
I've also seen things like tank knockers for sale but never used them myself.
So what do you use (if anything)?

While the following methods work, they have a major down side, they are extremely annoying. I prefer to use a bolt snap and bang it on my tank.

Rattles! Get your buddy's attention and everyone else diving within a mile radius whenever you move.

LPI honkers - annoy everyone in the ocean while getting your buddy's attention.

when buddy diving in the context of typical recreational diving, you should never be more than one kick cycle away from your buddy and should never be travelling single file. If you need to get to your buddy, you have one big kick and you can touch them.

If you need audible contact for whatever reason, you should keep a spare double ender on your harness and you can hit your tank with it, or you can hit it with the bolt snap tied to your SPG.

While the following methods work, they have a major down side, they are extremely annoying. I prefer to use a bolt snap and bang it on my tank.

Rattles! Get your buddy's attention and everyone else diving within a mile radius whenever you move.

LPI honkers - annoy everyone in the ocean while getting your buddy's attention.

I have a rattle and used one on a limited basis for a while. After going on a few dives where others have them, I have found them to be utterly objectionable, and no longer carry one or endorse their use.

Get a decent flashlight and stay close to your dive buddy.

It sounds like you might be trying to solve the wrong problem. If you are always within a body-length or two of your buddy, you'll always be able to quickly kick to them if needed. So focus on maintaining control over your own position in the water, and keeping track of where your buddy is. You will improve quickly. Soon enough, it will be second nature and you will notice quickly when they stop, change direction, need help, want to show you something, or just do something weird.

In the mean time, if you or your buddy are unable or unwilling to stay that close, have a conversation about trying to keep better tabs on one another. If that does not work, find another buddy.

Pulling on their fins if they’re ahead of you.

A light

Yelling their name.
Spearguns also ensure a buddy keeps their eyes on you. At least after one narrowly misses them! :dork2:

I used to use one of those dog training clickers. For any of you Catholic school graduates it's the same thing the nuns used to use in mass to signal sit, stand, kneel, genuflect, genuflect, curtsy, or just shut up. I don't miss nuns.

New to forum and thought I'd start by posting a poll of sorts.
How do you get your dive buddy's attention?
When getting certified my instructor used a small cow bell attached to his BCD. I found it extremely effective.
I've also seen things like tank knockers for sale but never used them myself.
So what do you use (if anything)?
I found the tank knocker I had years ago was not loud enough--useless. Maybe there are varied brands?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom