Waterproof W4 vs. Bare Reactive/Velocity - 5mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with both of these suits that can comment on their relative merits particularly in the area of ease of donning/doffing? I will almost exclusively be using this suit on LOBs so am primarily concerned with how much fun it is to get in and out of the suit 4-5x per day when it hasn't had time to dry. Warmth is a secondary or even tertiary concern since I can layer it with other stuff (rashguards, lavacore, hoods, etc.). I am really just looking for something that I don't dread tugging on by the 3rd or 4th dive of the day. I was pretty much settled on the W4 but read some reviews that mentioned it being on the difficult side of getting on and off. Alternatively, if anybody has any other recommendations I am all ears. Thanks!

I just ordered a velocity, when it arrives I'll let you know how easy it is to don/doff.

I’ve been diving a Velocity 5mm for six or seven years. One of the things I like is the zippered ankles and relatively stiff legs.

My left leg is partially numb from sciatica and the stiffness of the legs makes it easier for me to slide into it.

Big fan of the Bare Reactive 5mm. Am just finishing up a trip on Roatan right now and have been doing 4 dives a day most days. Easy on and easy off even to the point that I’ll take it off for a short 30 minute surface interval just so I’m not sitting in a suit. Correspondingly, it’s easy to put on when it’s still wet.

I have never owned a Bare, but just in looking at their website it looks like I'd probably be better off with a Velocity than a Reactive assuming I am understanding the products correctly (Reactive = warmest, Velocity = less warm, but more stretchy/flexible and hence probably a bit easier to doff/don). That sound about right?

I own a 3 & 5mm Reactive, and a dive buddy has the Bare Velocity Ultra, I did not see much difference in the stretch between the two, as I seemed to be able to don/doff my wetsuit as easily as he did. Perhaps the taped seams on the Reactive, and full coverage of the OMNIRED layer, make the Reactive slightly less stretchy, but I am not a slim guy and have no difficulty getting in or out of the suits. For me, the OMNIRED layer actually makes it easier to don/doff than my old Bare Elastek wetsuits. But, as you know, wetsuit fit and comfort are really individual preferences, and trying them on will give you the answer.

I have never owned a Bare, but just in looking at their website it looks like I'd probably be better off with a Velocity than a Reactive assuming I am understanding the products correctly (Reactive = warmest, Velocity = less warm, but more stretchy/flexible and hence probably a bit easier to doff/don). That sound about right?

I just received my velocity suit. I've never seen the reactive, but the guy at DRIS described the difference to me pretty specifically while he was holding the two of them. Basically what he said is, the neoprene is the same, but the ankle and wrist seals are more extensive on the reactive,(which can make it a little harder to put on/off) and maybe the back zipper pad is bigger on the reactive. I don't think there's much difference in warmth. I'm skeptical about the real effect of this infared lining, it seems a little gimicky, but maybe it does something.

Overall I like the velocity suit; it fits me really well which is tough to get when ordering a suit online, it seems pretty well made, and I'll probably have more to report once I actually get to use it. If I could have found a suit online that was denser neoprene, i.e. less stretchy, but with an excellent fit, for around the same price I would have preferred that. But, the option I was looking at was 4th element, and their size chart didn't seem to have an option that was just right for me. Bare had lots of size variations and one of them fit me just about perfect. And it was about $150 less than the 4th element.

When it comes to buying a new wetsuit, it can be hard to beat the option of ordering several from online source and picking the winner after a fit test. Paying return shipping can be small price to pay for finding the suit that works best.

I found the Reactive came out ahead for ease of donning/doffing vs W4. Ended up going with SP Everflex as overall winner but really liked the Reactive as well.

Update - I ended up ordering a Bare Velocity. I have not had it in the water yet, but putting it on at home didn't require any contortion skills and I am typing this in street clothes so was able to successfully get it off just as easily. We'll see when wet, but so far it seems like it should work out well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom