Waterproof W30 2.5 mm versus Scubapro Sport Steamer 2.5 mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
In the market for a warm water wetsuit and was eyeing the Waterproof W30 2.5 mm and the Scubapro Sport Steamer 2.5 mm. Interested in hearing anyone's experiences with these two wetsuits. Which is the better choice?

I broadened the scope of this thread to add the Waterproof W30 2.5 mm since that seems like a good contender as well for a 2.5 mm wetsuit. Hoping some folks have experiences or thoughts with regard to either or both of these.

Thanks

I have the W30 and like it. Since I haven't used the Scubapro, I can't make a direct comparison.

With that caveat, I'll simply note that in my experience, Waterproof suit sizing seems to be more "American" -- i.e., recognizes that we're don't all look like the models on their website. I love all sorts of 4th Element gear, but unless I get a tapeworm, their wetsuits don't work for me. Bare seems to have evolved in their sizing too. Scubapro, I'm not so sure about. That's a long way of saying that sizing may make this decision for you.

In terms of performance, the W30 has done fine. It's held up to external abuse pretty well. Like any suit, you'll lose some thickness after a few dives, especially deeper ones. The less expensive suits, like these, will lose thickness faster. My W30 is actually negatively buoyant now - it sinks in the rinse bin. But, it did okay for the price point.

I have had the WProof W30 for almost three years, multiple trips and some local diving. It feels great, super soft and plenty warm for tropics and even 78 degree cenotes. That said, I have no non WP suit to compare it with except my initial training dives in a 7mm Henderson. It has taken plenty of rough treatment on dive boats and balcony’s around the world and still feels as good as when it was new.
I bought all my suits at a shop close out here in NE and they are all WP brand, they compare very favorably to similar Henderson products which are the go to for most of the people I dive with (local LDS favorite).

I have just recently started using the thigh pocket because I didn’t want to look dorky, it fixes all the storage short comings of a bp/w set-up for me.

Thought I'd follow up this post with some info. I ended up going with the Scubapro Sport Steamer 2.5 mm full wetsuit and was really impressed with it. Very impressive for the 175 price point. The fit was really good. Very comfortable. Held warmth very well and seems durable. The construction and materials are above average. I didn't get a chance to try the Waterproof W30 but I'm very pleased with the Scubapro.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to buy the Sport Steamer, also. How was the sizing? I'm 5'11, 172 lbs. I'm normally a Large in wetsuits but have read that the Sport Steamer runs a little small?

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to buy the Sport Steamer, also. How was the sizing? I'm 5'11, 172 lbs. I'm normally a Large in wetsuits but have read that the Sport Steamer runs a little small?

Always a bit of guess but I'd guess you're likely okay with the Large. I'm bit larger and went with the XL and it fit great. I used Amazon, who is a third party seller for Leisure Pro. With Amazon Prime, it was free shipping and if it didn't fit, easy return/exchange. Same goes if you purchase directly from Leisure Pro - I recall they have a really good policy on wetsuit fit and return/exchange if it doesn't fit.

I'm not familiar with the two suits mentioned but I'll share my experience. I recently bought a Henderson 3 mm Thermoprene Pro and used it with a heated vest in La Paz Baja with water temps 78-80 and I was cold. The Thermoprene Pro is one of the stretchy wetsuits and I advise against buying this type at least in the 3 mm version. The thing is so stretchy that it does not make a good seal with you body and lets water in especially if not tight enough. My Henderson Thermaxx 7mm works great but this 3mm suit is a thumbs down.

I will say the newest 2019 edition of the w30 visually is really nice. Still haven’t see one in person. Everyone is still stocking the older green and black model. The new one is aqua and black.

Back
Top Bottom