Waterproof W3 3.5 to hot for Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibmerlin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are going to the ABC's soon and I am looking at buying a Waterproof W3 or W30 for the trip. The W3 is the nicer of the two and much more costly. But is the W3 3.5mm to warm for the islands?

Thanks Merlin

I depends on your temperature tolerance. I dive just a skin or some times just a swim suit and T-shirt in comfort and on the same dive a buddy dives a full 5mm with hood and is cold. The average temp of the water is 80 deg F +/- 2 deg.

Water temp in Bonaire Last Jan was 78 F. I averaged 4 dives a day and started with a 3/2 but after day one switched to a 5 ml for comfort.

Last March the water temps were 75 to 78. I dove a 3 mm and was chilled. Planning on a 5 mm for this March or layering a core warmer with my 3 mm.

Not diving it the Caribbean before I have to ask if there is a large variance in the water temperature at depth? We snorkeled in St Vincent last year all day every day for 10 days and i was fine in a shorts. But that is just at the surface and down to 15ft or so.

Warmth when snorkelling is not comparable to scuba. I havent dived the area in question but tropical locations i have dived have little temp difference between surface and at depth.

Tapatalk 2

There is no real noticable difference in surface to rec scuba depths in the ABC's. That said, there is a considerable difference in the same temp water while snorleling and when on scuba. On the surface you get the benefit of solar heating on your back that adds to your available heat source, that goes away after you get a few feet deep.

There is no real noticable difference in surface to rec scuba depths in the ABC's. That said, there is a considerable difference in the same temp water while snorleling and when on scuba. On the surface you get the benefit of solar heating on your back that adds to your available heat source, that goes away after you get a few feet deep.

Very well put Herman.

Thank you to everyone for the input. The closer it gets to my trip the more I am Geeking out asking questions trying to prepare for it.

Merlin

I have been to Bonaire twice, in May I wore a 3 ML with for dive a day and still warm, November was cooler and wore a 5 ML with three dives a day and was OK, the Waterproof brand is much warmer than the Henderson suits.s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom