Waterproof RCA connector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisMBC

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning on making my own battery pack for a heated undergarment, using the Light-for-me battery canister, a Scaleo heat controller, and a DIY 14.4v battery (so that I can use the Scaleo controller to supply a constant voltage to the undergarment).

1632862978499.png

Where I'm running into trouble is the connection from the canister to the Scaleo controller. Light-for-me uses some kind of threaded RCA connector on the canister side, and I can't find the connector online to buy. The Light-for-me RCA to E/O cord has been out of stock for months, with no word on when it might be in stock. I'd also like to buy a few of the RCA connectors myself, so I can make up my own RCA to E/O cord, as well as a charger with an RCA end. Any suggestions on where I could source the connector (or, even where I could source a similar type of connector/gland, so I could replace the RCA gland on the Light-for-me canister?

There are vastly better connectors out there. The EO is what most of us use but the subcon are superior. A waterproof RCA connector is just a huge mess. The Scaleo sure looks like its actually an EO to me... So swap the the canister to EO and all your problems are solved - although you have chosen the light/battery supplier with the worst track record for any kind of customer service me thinks.

You could use the light monkey controller and save yourself dealing with shipping from the EU. Neither of them are constant voltage however, for that you would need to go with the 18V system that underwater light dude steps down to 12V constant.

Light for Me are an utter basket case. Their service is bloody awful -- took 11 months for them to repair a Heat-for-Me battery control. They're terrible at responding, etc.

Goodness knows what happened to that company. Their products were good value and worked very well. Their service used to be quite good too, but has gone to the dogs in the past four years. So much so that they lost their UK distributor who gave up with them.

If you can get a LFM cable, keep it! They did do a RCA to E/O cable (two lengths, 30cm and 1m). Am currently trying to get them to sell me a replacement torch cable -- came up from a dive a month ago and someone remarked how they could hear gas escaping. Wasn't gas, it was the cable connector fizzing with electrolysis! (Think there's a short inside but an ohmmeter doesn't reveal it):

NW7 electrolosis.jpg

Reactions: jps
Hi.

I have the exact same problem!

So did you find any connectors? Or how did you solve the problem?
I've been looking for some other cable glands as well, with the same threads. M14x1 I think... But found nothing in stainless steel.

I've mailed Light for Me several times and asked for spare connectors, but no answers.

Thanks!
Best regards,
Arnt Olav
Norway

Am thoroughly pissed off with Light for Me. Was on a boat this weekend with a guy who bought a new light head from them in September; stopped working after 10 dives and he can't get any answer from them.

I've tried for months now with no answer.

I have anoher torch that I use. I must get around to fixing the broken LfM torch though.

I did find a Dutch company that fixes LfM torches -- www.ScubaSupport.nl

Must get back on to it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom