Waterproof D1 diving data.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
While seeing many posts about this suit, no real questions have been answered regarding such a contradictory factor as buoyancy, and the relative amount of weight needed.
First of all, I would like to mention the setup I was using before: Scubapro MK25 evo A700 R195, xDEEP Zeos aluminium backplate with softening and weight pockets, aqualung xshot fins size R and a 7+7mm subgear deginition IR7 suit, new, size 27. To sink with a 10L tank i would be required to have 7 kg of weights on me.
My choice of the D1 size was M+ (being 175 cm tall 95-100 kg 120cm chest) it fit me like a charm. I have tested it in the pool, and can only say that I needed 7 kg of weight to sink with the rest of the gear being the same. I was only wearing a base layer, and felt very comfortable.

I am willing to answer questions regarding the suit and its usage with temperatures from 4 degrees Celsius and more.
Pictures on request,
Weight of items on request,
And generally will be gladly to assist.

Cheers,

Sergej

Hi I have recently acquired a D1 myself and I find it very heavy. I only have one dive on it so far but please, tell me once you are neutrally buoyant is it still hard to fin with all the extra weight?

Hi Sergej,

I'm curious how this suit is in warmer waters. Up to what kind of temperature do you think you would be comfortable diving in the D1. 15ºC/60ºF? 20ºC/70ºF?

Thanks.

and can only say that I needed 7 kg of weight to sink with the rest of the gear being the same.
Is it 7 kg extra weight or total? Do you know how much weight you need if you only use the IR7 suit (i guess that 7+7 means that you have an extra jacket).

I'm using an 7/8 mm semidry suit at the moment, and have been looking at the Waterproof D1, but i havnt found much information about how much (extra) weight that would be needed (compared with other suits).

Hi Nibl, I have been diving with the D1 for a few months now and I can tell you that whatever your setup ( say dry suit, bcd, reg and alum or steel tank ) + theoretically 16 lbs of lead you would need to add minimum 6lbs to it. that is how much extra buoyancy the D1 has.

And to answer jethrocamp -> The D1 has it's own incorporated lining which I have worn in 25*C degree weather and not felt hot, while all my buddies were complaining they were sweating bullets in their fleece lined dry suits. So up to 25C underwater will still be fine!

Diving the D1 and the WaterProof Vest under it, I added 8lbs total and I am probably a touch heavy still...

I just bought a D1 - I was also using a 7 mm semidry Henderson - with about 20 lbs of lead weight.

First I really like my D1 suit and will continue to dive it.
Second I have a total of 42 lbs of lead so an extra 22 lbs is what I needed to add.
Third this is my first dry suit and I have 4 total dives with it in NJ ocean waters.

I can see dropping some weight as I get more comfortable - but I do not see myself getting down to 30 lbs of lead that seems to me too light from what I have seen so far. I kneel and crush all the air out of the suit after I am zipped up.

I will continue to report in but folks adding 6 or 8 lbs - have you been diving drysuits before? And you are only adding from your previous drysuit weights?
Thanks - because 42 lbs plus the gear is a heck of a lot of weight...

Ok - today I dove in Freshwater with an AL80 - 1000 PSI down to 500 PSI and I dropped 12 pounds of weight - I am now down to 30 pounds total lead - and I can honestly say I feel much better. It was a combination of continuing to dive the dry suit and getting more comfortable with some squeeze - I guess I was diving like the Michelin Man - but who knew. Anyway as of today I am much more happy with the suit and with my breathing I can raise and lower myself - like I do in a wet suit. I don't feel like I am over weighted - I will continue to try other options but now if I dive with my steel tanks I am sure I will be slightly overweight and that is ok.
I continue to learn and really enjoy my dry suit.

Sounds awesome ridge diver, I'm sure with Al 80's I would initially need to don up to 34 lbs to get down and be confident that I would not pop at the safety stop. With my steel 100's I take 26 lbs of weight and it's comfy for finning and SS's and I don't feel I am exerting a lot of effort to move around. Using alu's would equate to 8 lbs of lead vs a steel, you see my logic? because so far I have not tried alu's with this suit ! HIHIIII!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom