waterproof case rec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
looking for suggestions for a waterproof case that i use to slip my cell phone in during shore dives. i dont need access to it..just something i can slip into my BC and that will withstand rec depths

Leaving my phone on shore while I was beach diving made me extremely apprehensive, so about a year ago I started looking into waterproof boxes.

Initially I wasn't interested in a photographic housing. I was just looking for a box to keep the phone dry, and allow me to safely secure it when diving at recreational depths.

I spec'd out about a dozen different waterproof boxes I found online. All the basic waterproof boxes I found were just too bulky. They were either too small or two big for my phone's long and thin dimensions.

I also didn't fully trust their ability to be leak proof. I came to the conclusion that most "waterproof" boxes are effective at one atmosphere, but none seemed designed to withstand the pressures at depth. They're intended to keep things dry on deck, not underwater.

That led me to look into the underwater photographic housings for cell phones. I found them to be very compact, form fitted for specific phone models, and depth rated. In addition, they had the right kind of attachment points I was looking for. The downside was the camera housings are four or five times more expensive than a basic box case.

So, in the end I purchased a photographic camera housing made for my specific model of cell phone made by Watershot. I've made about a dozen dives with it so far, some as deep as 80 fsw. The phone has remained bone-dry every time. I've even used it to take some underwater video footage, which turned out fantastic.

So, in the end I spent a lot more money than I originally intended, but now I have the peace of mind from taking my phone underwater with me.
Even without using the camera functionality, I think it's an effective solution. The case is as compact as possible, and certainly depth capable. It also locks closed very securely.

I know this is not the kind of recommendation you're looking for, and I apologize.
It's just the best solution I could come up with, and it works well for me.
Good luck in your search.
Please let us know what you end up getting.

K

Leaving my phone on shore while I was diving made me extremely apprehensive, so about a year ago I started looking into waterproof cases.

Initially I wasn't interested in a photographic housing. I was just looking for a case to keep the phone dry, and allow me to safely secure it when diving at recreational depths.

I spec'd out about a dozen different cases I found online. All the basic waterproof box-type cases I found were just too bulky. I also didn't fully trust their ability to be leak proof. I came to the conclusion that most "waterproof" cases are effective at one atmosphere, but none seemed designed to withstand the pressures at depth.

That led me to look into the underwater photographic housings for cell phones. I found them to be very compact, form fitted for specific phone models, and depth rated. In addition, they had the right kind of attachment points I was looking for. The downside was the camera housings are four or five times more expensive than a basic box case.

So, in the end I purchased a photographic camera housing made for my specific model of cell phone made by Watershot. I've made about a dozen dives with it so far, some as deep as 80 fsw. The phone has remained bone-dry every time. I've even used it to take some underwater video footage, which turned out fantastic.

So, in the end I spent a lot more money than I originally intended, but now I have the peace of mind from taking my phone underwater with me.
Even without using the camera functionality, I think it's an effective solution. The case is as compact as possible, and certainly depth capable. It also locks closed very securely.

I know this is not the kind of recommendation you're looking for, and I apologize.
It's just the best solution I could come up with, and it works well for me.
Good luck in your search.
Please let us know what you end up getting.

K

Yup. A camera housing is likely the best truly waterproof option out there.

I looked around at every "waterproof" case (ex. Pelican) I could find. With the exception of camera housings, none of them (that I saw) were really waterproof...they're water resistant. That and all of the ones that I've seen for sale in scuba shops (other than camera housings) specifically have a disclaimer "not for scuba diving."

I've got a "waterproof" bag that's supposedly good for electronics. It's one of the basic ones that you see for sale in scuba shops. Literally the only reason that my stuff has stayed dry (only down to 50') is that I double bag the contents in Ziploc bags prior to putting them in this.

I like your idea on the camera housing. I only keep my keys and DAN card with me when I dive, so I think I'll just dig up my second GoPro waterproof housing and put that into service as a dry box.

I am wondering, wouldn't exposing the phone to higher atmospheric pressure for a continues period damage it?

I know most phone's now days can handle going down 2 meters for some time and some cases will probably negate some of that pressure but when going down to 20,30,40 meters or more the pressure on the gentle electronics in the phone must be immense.

Any Tech savvy individuals that care to weigh in?

I am wondering, wouldn't exposing the phone to higher atmospheric pressure for a continues period damage it?

I know most phone's now days can handle going down 2 meters for some time and some cases will probably negate some of that pressure but when going down to 20,30,40 meters or more the pressure on the gentle electronics in the phone must be immense.

Any Tech savvy individuals that care to weigh in?

Water proof housings remain at 1 ATM. They do not experience higher pressures. Waterproof bags, being flexible, subject whatever components are stored within to increased pressure.

If you use a housing, whether a repurposed camera or something like a light canister, this is not an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom