Waterproof Case for money, keys, seacard etc...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1KWIK_69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anyone make a small case for carrying valuables with you when you're actually diving?

I've found countless small cases on Leisurepro that look perfect but when you read the fine print they're only good for keeping things dry at the surface. It really seems
to me that someone would make a case about 3 inches wide, 5 inches long and an inch thick that you could use to take your stuff with you in your BC pocket when you go down. After all, I put an expensive nikon in a case and take it with me every time I dive!

After 100s of shore dives on Bonaire, I just gave up on the waterproof part, pretty much everything I have tried has eventually flooded. CC's, car keys and money are not hurt by being wet and dry quickly so I just don't bother trying to keep them dry.

one option is to find an old UW light that will fit your stuff. (Assuming it's not dead due to a tendency to flood, of course!)

I've had success with the Otter box, rated to 100 feet. I've used it for 40+ dives now,
including a half dozen > 90 ft, and the inside has never been even slightly damp.
I use the smallest one, the 1000, in clear. $9 at LP.
Otter Water Tight Box # 1000 Series
but they have other sizes and colors.

Inside I use a cheap plastic business card case. One side holds a credit card, C-card, drivers license (as needed) and the other side will hold up to a half dozen bills of various denominations folded in thirds. There's room for a little more inside, but I keep my key on a neck lanyard.

Like I've said, it seems to work and it's rated to 100 feet. But I also note that if it did flood I wouldn't regard it as a catastrophe; the cards are waterproof and the currency will eventually dry out.

If you want something reasonably priced but rated to greater depth, look at
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...ock/DescSort_0/Filter_1=598/IK3001.html?Hit=1
Rated to 300 feet, $20 at LP, but it's size and shape is less well suited to the wallet-equivalent application.

I've used both the Otter Box Model #2000, and the Pelican 1020 Micro Case to carry my passport, cash, and hotel keys with no leakage. I've taken both cases to 90+ feet on approximately 30 dives since I purchased the cases. Both cases have kept the contents "high and dry".

I dive with either a ScubaPro Superhawk BC, or a Seaquest Black Diamond BC, and both cases fit into the pockets; both BCs have integrated weight pockets beneath the cargo pockets.

The Otter Box is a little longer and a little more slender than the Pelican Case.

redseal1tx

What I've learned from the old, grizzled set is that nothing with corners works well for long.

Rather, they use an OMS cylinder or an old dive light case.

I've had success with the Otter box, rated to 100 feet. I've used it for 40+ dives now,
including a half dozen > 90 ft, and the inside has never been even slightly damp.
I use the smallest one, the 1000, in clear. $9 at LP.
Otter Water Tight Box # 1000 Series
but they have other sizes and colors.

I had two of these flood on me during a single dive trip. We were diving the cenotes, with a max depth of 45 ft. One flooded the first day, I bought another one that same afternoon, and it flooded the second day. I won't waste my money on another one.

Obviously they work well for some people, I just learned not to trust them. YMMV...

Does anyone make a small case for carrying valuables with you when you're actually diving?
I've found limited utility for cash, keys and other valuables while underwater. But if you have a useful for such things while diving, just get a Pelican micro series case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom