Waterford Garda dead - County Wexford, Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Garda dies while diving off the southeast coast
An off-duty garda has died after he got into difficulty while diving off the southeast on Saturday.

The man, a native of Co Wexford who was stationed in Waterford, was diving with a local diving club when he got into difficulty off Hook Head at about midday.

It’s believed that the man, a former member of the Garda Water Unit who had been honoured for his part in a number of water rescues in the area, got the bends when coming to the surface.

He was brought to the surface by colleagues. The emergency services were alerted and the Irish Coast Guard helicopter Rescue 117 was scrambled to attend at the scene.

The Kilmore Quay lifeboat and the LÉ Orla were also on standby in the area.

It’s understood that the man was pronounced dead despite attempts to resuscitate him on board the dive boat.

Garda colleagues in Waterford spoke of their shock at the death of the man, who was in his mid-40s and is understood to have a young family. One said: “People are just hearing the news – it’s a huge shock because he was such a great colleague with a wicked sense of humour – a really popular guy who had won several awards for water rescues.”

I dived with David a few weeks ago. He's a lovely guy and this is very sad news to hear. I have no details on the specifics of what happened however. Thoughts and prayers with his family now though this difficult time.

Various news articles describe his heroic record with the Garda Water Unit, saving seven people in three years, including this one that claims he dove to 70 meters. Life-saver dies on wreck-dive - Divernet

How sad but strange that such an experienced diver would have an accident of this magnitude.

I’m based between Ireland and UK. Will try to see if any more info emerges.

Such a shame. Condolences to his family.

The Guards (Police) over here are probably the nicest and most helpful in the world.

RIP

Indeed it sounds like a rescue. Pinging my cousin to see if any more info.

If he dove to 70m on normal gear then outcome would be dubious. But I don’t have facts yet. If I get them I’ll let you know.

Seems like a fine brave man taken too early

A JJ ccr was the unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom