Water temps -Galapagos in Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are doing land based diving from Santa Cruz and wanted to know what to expect for water temps in Jan? We have been cold water diving in quarries and springs. My wife usually uses a 7mm for water in the 68 deg range. I also have heard of thermoclines being as much as 10 degrees colder. From what I have read is that Jan is in the warmer season. Thx for any help

Any help need to know if a 5mm would be warm enough? I was even thinking of a 3mm? I dive in springs in North FL that are 68 deg with a 3mm. Just didst know how the thermoclines get in the center islands?

5mm will be fine. When the Humboldt current isn't running, typical water temp with will ~75. That said, do you really want to make a dive trip when the nutrient rich current is not running?

January in the central islands can be great diving - water is warmer, seas tend to be calmer and plenty of life underwater. Only thing that maybe lacking are whale sharks but pretty well everything else should be there. Plus you get blue skies :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom