Water Temperature August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm doing a seven-day liveaboard August 5-12 and was wondering how the water temperature will be then. From what I've seen, it looks like I should be fine with my 1mm, although I'll also bring a diveskin and my sharkskin vest just in case. I'm fine diving with the 1 mm down to 78 degrees. We'll be diving at Brothers, Daedalus, and Elphinstone.

Also, the boat is Blue Horizon. Has anyone here been on her?

In May 2017 it was 77 and in a few small cases down to 75 with current and thermocline. I bet you are ok.

Blue horizon was next to us in hurghada, nice looking sundeck, and lounge deck. The blue o two dive staff on red sea adventurer(our boat) felt like even with the bigger passenger capacity it was roomier on blue horizon.

I believe Egypt's red sea regulatory agency has closed brothers for the rest of the year due to a couple of oceanic white tip bites, hope they open it back up, it was beautiful. (I'm sure they will if they feel its marginally safe. It's a big tourism $$$ magnet.)

I have only been shore diving in Egypt at that time of year (normally Marsa Alam area) and water temperature has ranged from 28 to 30 degrees C. I would imagine that the off shore sites could drop a degree or two at depth. Air temperature is very warm in August, but there should be a bot of a breeze to help cool you down.

I have been on Blue Horizon twice in the past couple of years - the last time was in October on the same route you are going on. It is a great boat with good crew and food. Maybe not quite as posh as some of the newer Red Sea boats, but it is one of the better ones. Although the boat can have 24 divers on board there is plenty of space so it never feels two busy. Diving is well organised, the guides always seem to be experienced and give good briefings. It is up to you if you want to dive guided or not. Aircon in all the cabins, it seemed to work fine, although in October it isn't quite as warm as August. At that time of year sea crossings should be fine, but you do have three long overnight crossings which can be rough if it is windy. If you are diving with Nitrox fills always seemed to be around 28-29% rather than the planned 32%, but generally not a problem as most of the diving is fairly deep. If you have any questions about the boat let me know.

Thanks, I'm doing this as part of a photo workshop by Bluewater Photo, so it may be a little different from a normal seven-day dive trip. I think I read that the crew does not set up the equipment, is that correct? I'm fine with that, but am unable to carry my tank very far without being in a world of hurt later, if I have to do it a lot. Do they put them on the zodiac for us, and remove them? Normally, I put my gear on in the water since backrolls also hurt my lower back. Going off a zodiac shouldn't be a problem, however.

You set your kit up on the first day and it stays in place on the tank for the week. You just need to unconnect and reconnect 1st stage between dives. They have a good system so your tank and gear always ends up back in your spot at the end of each dive. Normally two types of dives, either straight off the back of the boat, or via zodiac. On the BDE trip you will be in the zodiac fairly often as you need to work with the currents, and depending on current and dive time either picked up by zodiac or swim back to boat - although we did do a few dives straight off the back. If you didn't want to zodiac dive we always had the option to go straight off the back of the boat.

For zodiac diving they want everyone to put their gear on in the dive area and then walk to the back of the boat and get into the zodiac. There are lots of crew to help. On our last trip we had a few side mount divers and they had tanks placed into the zodiac for them, so they seem to be flexible if needed. At a few of the sites you will dive you will probably do negative entry from the zodiac so putting gear on in the water wouldn't be an option.

On the boat you really won't have to walk far with your gear on, if you are worried make sure you get yourself a spot right next to the top of the stairs onto the dive deck.

Thanks, I'm doing this as part of a photo workshop by Bluewater Photo, so it may be a little different from a normal seven-day dive trip. I think I read that the crew does not set up the equipment, is that correct? I'm fine with that, but am unable to carry my tank very far without being in a world of hurt later, if I have to do it a lot. Do they put them on the zodiac for us, and remove them? Normally, I put my gear on in the water since backrolls also hurt my lower back. Going off a zodiac shouldn't be a problem, however.

True. They are used to european divers, who prefer setting up themselves. But they may of course do it if you want to.
The further you could have to carry it should be from the deck to the water or the zodiac, let's say max 6 meters... and if you explain that you have back problems, it will be carried by the crew and they will help you to put it on just before jumping in the water.
They manage these cases very kindly, I've been several times on liveaboards with a friend who has only 1 leg left, without any problem...

That sounds good. I have an artificial hip due to congenital problems with my hips and my lower back still suffers due to it. Even walking for 2 meters would do me in eventually. I can carry my tank in my arms, but when the weight is on my back, it's a problem.

At a few of the sites you will dive you will probably do negative entry from the zodiac so putting gear on in the water wouldn't be an option.
So how does that work for a photographer who will have his camera handed to him after the backroll?

Back
Top Bottom