Water temp at depth in the Red Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newdiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m going to be in the Red Sea 10/21-28/17 on a live aboard. I can not find the water temp at 20-30 meters anywhere(The surface temp seems pretty consistent at 81 degrees). I try not to use wetsuits and would appreciate any info on water temps on the Southern/St.Johns route. I just don’t want to take a wetsuit and not need it or not take and need it.

Two years ago in late November I was seeing 27 to 28 and rarely 26C. Depth didn't make much difference.

You need a wetsuit in nov in the red sea: 3mm up to 5mm. Temperature is the same @ surface or down to 120 feet.

I was there last year about now and the temps recorded by my DC (at depth) were about 25-27C. I dived with a 3mm full suit all week and never felt cold.

Some in the group were diving with shorts/T-shirt while others were in 7mm suits (I think due to it being their only wetsuit) so I think it depends on your cold tolerance.

Thanks Everyone! I will be in rash guard and swim suit:cheers:

The issue in the Red Sea is less the water temperature and more if there is a wind during your SI.

The issue in the Red Sea is less the water temperature and more if there is a wind during your SI.

For my trip in December, which I understand can be a very windy month, I plan to wear a drysuit with lightweight undergarment. I read accounts of people in wetsuits feeling chilled during the ride back to the liveaboard on an RIB.

Thanks Everyone! I will be in rash guard and swim suit:cheers:

This statement seems to indicate to me that you are either crazy or very resistant to cold :coffee:

If this is your first liveaboard, also consider that you will likely be diving more frequently than you did in the Caribbean. By the third day or so, hour-long dives that felt fine on the first day may start feeling chillier. I have read of people skipping the night dives later in the week because they just didn't want to get back into the water after having finally warmed up. At least bring a wetsuit, just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom