Was wondering of water temps at lake rawlings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jebsurf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First off just want to say hi and this is my first post. I'm new to diving with air(I freedive) and I'm headed up to the lake this weekend to finish up with my PADI certs with my open water dives. I was wondering what suit I should bring? I have a good 4/3 I'm thinking about wearing. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew of the temps?

Check out: Lake Rawlings - FAQ

FWIW, I haven't done Lake Rawlings in nearly 10 years. But my memories of this time of year would be to plan for 45-55 water. In the summer it'd be 75 down to about 25' then the thermocline would kick in and it'd be 55 to the bottom.

4/3? Perhaps. I think I'd be too cold. I used to like a 2pc 3mm down to about 62f and not below.

How did your dive go? I'm out here in Va. for some training. I'm stationed Camp Pendleton and I was thinking about diving there this weekend. I've only been diving off the coast of Ca. and Hawaii.

I was there last weekend with 4 students. Staying around 20 feet (or shallower) it was 59 degrees or so. If Air temp cooperates on surface interval, i am able to get by with a good fitting 5mm suit, hood and gloves.

I forgot to ask some one what the temperature was today. I think it was about 50 deg after 30'. My rental equipment didn't have a computer and I was so focused on my dives that I completely forgot about it. The dive was pretty good. Being from the west coast I figured that I better jump on this chance to dive a fresh water rock quarry. I've only done ocean dives so far. I meet some good people at the lake that let me join their group. We explored as many of the vehicles as we could find within two tanks. We never did find the Helicopter. Eventually it started raining and we all went home.

The wife and I dove Lake Rawlings a week and a half ago, it was chilly (49 degrees at 50'; 53 on the surface) we found the blackhawk on dive #1 of 2, it was just about 30-40 yards to the SW of the left hand platform (as you stand facing the quarry) in about 40 feet of water. I dove with a 3/2 and 5 mm hood, and I got chilled by the end of dive #2; wife was in a 5/4/3 w/ hood and was pretty comfortable in the shallower water.

Back
Top Bottom