Warranty turn around time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is "acceptable" turn around time on warranty work for a light?

I try to buy from manufactures that offer 2 things.

1) A superior product that meets or exceeds my needs
2) have a reputation for above and beyond service when needed

That being said - I have a small group of manufacturers that I try very hard to buy from. One of them is in the process of letting me down, immensly. I have a can light that has worked well for the last 8 months- however out of nowhere, it stopped working. I sent it in, along with all appropriate forms, original receipt and box - over 3 weeks ago. Communication has been terrible except for when I bug them. At this point - I am still not able to get a firm answer on when I can expect it back. I have requested a new light since they claim parts issues on repairing my light. They are saying potentiall middle to end of this month for the repair and will not just flat out replace it with somethign else. I even offered to PAY for the delta between my model and something else - if that would make it faster. Missing 5-8 weeks of the prime dive season to a repair is not something I find acceptable. Am I being unreasonable?

Im thinking about cutting my losses - waiting for them to get it back to me and selling it along with everything I have from them - and replacing with a different brand. I could order a replacement light tomorrow and have it in 2 days - then not have to worry about the repair.

I am overly loyal to the few manufacturers I choose to buy from, but I also expect a lot.

Am I being unreasonable? Is less than 5-8 week turn around reasonable to expect on warranty issues? Most of the top notch service oriented companies I prefer would NEVER let that happen.

Is it absolutely necessary that you dive w/ a can light?

As for turn around time, it would depend on the extent of the repairs. Do they have to troubleshoot to ID the problem? What parts have to be back ordered?
It's not unusual for a warranty issue to go without notification unless there is a new update. Usually in my experience, if I don't prod, I only get emails on when the item is received, repaired, and when it's shipped back out to me.

As for paying the delta on your light for a new model, I can see why they would not want that from a purely profit standpoint. They would be left with a non-working light and a revenue loss on a new light. They will try to repair your old light before offering that option.
I would call that standard, not sub-par warranty protocol.

The wait is kinda on the long side, 8 weeks would be pretty long. Even 5 weeks is getting there, but once again it depends on the circumstances. I don't know what parts need to be backordered, and if they're not telling you which ones they're having problems getting and why, when you're asking then I would consider that being a bit customer unfriendly. Perhaps the rep you're emailing just doesn't know. It's not uncommon for the emailer to be out of the loop from the repair tech, especially for big companies. They might not even be in the same building let alone have any contact numbers for each other.

Is it absolutely necessary that you dive w/ a can light?

As for turn around time, it would depend on the extent of the repairs. Do they have to troubleshoot to ID the problem? What parts have to be back ordered?
It's not unusual for a warranty issue to go without notification unless there is a new update. Usually in my experience, if I don't prod, I only get emails on when the item is received, repaired, and when it's shipped back out to me.

As for paying the delta on your light for a new model, I can see why they would not want that from a purely profit standpoint. They would be left with a non-working light and a revenue loss on a new light. They will try to repair your old light before offering that option.
I would call that standard, not sub-par warranty protocol.

The wait is kinda on the long side, 8 weeks would be pretty long. Even 5 weeks is getting there, but once again it depends on the circumstances. I don't know what parts need to be backordered, and if they're not telling you which ones they're having problems getting and why, when you're asking then I would consider that being a bit customer unfriendly. Perhaps the rep you're emailing just doesn't know. It's not uncommon for the emailer to be out of the loop from the repair tech, especially for big companies. They might not even be in the same building let alone have any contact numbers for each other.

Is it absolutely necessary to dive with a can light - no - but NJ diving is dark and generally deep. So anything else is a large drop off in capability.

Ive not spoken to just one person - but several.

I understand the reason, form a profit standpoint, why the "pay the delta" idea could be a bad " transactional" decision. However - rapod turn around and top notch service oriented companies are not looking and the transacitonal effect of a warranty or service decision - its the overall effect on the customer, his/ her purchasing power, and sphere of influence for future decisions.

Case in point - 3 guys I dive with are looking for a can light and want the same one I have........the way this is going - is it likely they will buy that light? Probably not. Also - I am in the market for a new computer - who's is the first that is going to be eliminated based on this experience?

Any way you cut it -I am at the point where this has become unacceptable to me.

Thank You for the reply....Im trying to gauge myself and whether Im being unreasonable or not!!

Back
Top Bottom