Warm water in March-Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan, Caymans, other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eleonard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I am going diving with my 21 year old daughter in March. We have never been to Bonaire so we’re thinking of going there, but flights are super expensive. What other places might be good? I wonder if Cozumel and Caymans might be a little chilly. My daughter is a newer diver but also is a D1 swimmer so will catch on fast. Thank you!

I don’t think you will see a huge amount of temperature variation anywhere in the Caribbean especially in the summer, it’s warm everywhere. Bonaire flights are pricey but I found the Cayman’s to be more expensive all things considered. Cozumel and Roatan are both budget friendly and good viz, maybe less current in Roatan.

That said, Bonaire was the first place I ever dove salt water after certification and I am glad that’s where I went. For a new diver it is very benign, colorful, lots of fish, almost no current if you choose your sites correctly. Still one of my favorite places in the world, if you can swing it you should try it.

Hi @Eleonard

The average water temperature is going to vary somewhat everywhere in the South Atlantic and Caribbean. The lowest water temperatures are generally in Feb/March and the highest around Sept.

West Palm, FL 73-85
Providenciales, Turks & Caicos 78-85
Grand Cayman 80-85
Cozumel 80-85
Roatan 79-85
Bonaire 80-84

Keep in mind that these are monthly average temperature and that there is variation around the average. This information can be easily found by searching on average water temperatures for your destination. The average temperatures vary somewhat by source, the above are just examples.

We've been to Bonaire 5 times since 2017. The average water temperatures were:
Dec 2017: 82
Aug 2018: 82
April 2019: 79
Sept-Oct 2019: 84-85
Oct-Nov 2021: 84-85

Have a great trip, nothing like diving with your family

Also, the water temps found online are typically surface temps and you can expect temp to be lower at dive depths. Sometimes websites for dive shops will have dive temp info for their area. But southern Caribbean should be reliably warmer and northern (or places that are thought of as Caribbean but are actually Atlantic like Bahamas, T&C) will have a little more temp swing.

Thank you! I think we’ll try for Bonaire. We have dove Roatan and would love to go back. Have never dove Cozumel. Which would be good for a back up plan?

If you don't mind going back to Roatan I would recommend that as a Plan B. My advice is based on 2 things: First you're both newer divers and Cozumel current can be a little intimidating; also March is "Norte" season there and port closures are not uncommon then.

If airfare is a concern, you should look into Curacao, very similar in many respects to Bonaire, differences are mostly related to island size and population. Shore dives are very easy low current for the most part. Not as many shore accessible dive sites as Bonaire 20ish vs. 80ish, but more than enough for a week or two.

That’s a great idea as flights to Roatan and Bonaire are over $1200 right now. Do you suggest a place to stay and dive? I know nothing about Curacao. Thank you!

We stayed in a VRBO in the coral estates development, about halfway between the big city and westpunt. Rented a truck.
@drrich2 has some great trip planning notes on Curacao, and just about every island in the Caribbean by now. I would strongly suggest searching them out.

We really enjoyed the island and will definitely be back.

Back
Top Bottom