Warm water - dry vs wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im not sure but i think the flex 190 comes with and without the heating element? -i have the heated version
and with that they recommend another layer between the skin and the suit so its pretty warm even without the battery pack -personally i think it will be too warm for 25 plus degrees and your going to cook on the boat. i too really feel the cold so i have quite a selection of gear to wear depending on where Im going.

Thanks for the reply :)

I ended up buying a flex190, and I used it in the Mediterranean sea with no issue; I just need to bring a bottle of water with me in the boat and dress up at the very last moment. But water temperature was not 25 as far as I remember, slightly colder.

have you considered a heated vest that you can wear with a wetsuit - one that you can control heat output

Not yet. Right now, the coldest I dive is 5/6°C, and I manage that with a BZ400 + 4element Xcore and xerotherm (both the no-sleeve and the long sleeve t-shirt). With three baselayers + a fluffy undergarment, I know I look like the Michelin man, but for dives in my range of experience (max 50m average depth, max 30min deco with nx50), it works.

I believe the heated system will arrive as soon as I extend my deco range or dive into colder waters.

Thanks for your reply; let me explain a bit more

Everyone I spoke with says that the temperature range shown on the SANTI website is completely wrong. People are using the flex190 for the temperature I mentioned and said that the flex80 is good for... warm swimming pools :) Besides, I often feel cold. I have already tried just some wool stuff, and it is too cold.

About the money, a 5mm wetsuit would cost something in the 250/300€ here, against the 360€ of the flex190. But I could use the flex190 also for other kinds of dives.

My only concern is: would I get too warm on a boat with the flex190? Is there any risk associated? How can I mitigate these risks? That's it

You mean by going wet?
we run into this overheating problem often here in Ontario, when diving in the summer. Water Temps are in the high 30s / low 40s on the deeper stuff, but air Temps at the surface can be in the 90s. We have seaskin trilams, and usually wear the 250 thinsulate undergarments. The best solution we've found is to completely setup the gear first, and don the suit at the last possible minute, usually when we get the 10 minute warning. Some even get in the water and float during the dive briefings to cool off.

I'm going to buy a drysuit only for the winter/spring temp around 12 celsius. (Mediterranean see )
it will be my first winter scubadiving.
in the past 10 years I dove only from june to november with a wet suit.
in december the issue is not the water temp, but once outside water with a wet suit you risk to get cold and so sick later.

my plan:
use drysuit during the cold months and enjoy summer with a wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom