Warm water - dry vs wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ginti

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I have equipment only for cold water diving, and now it's time to buy something for the summer :)

I have two options:
1 - buy a lighter undergarment for my trilaminate drysuit; I am especially interested in the SANTI flex190
2 - buy a wetsuit

I use steel double 12l tanks, and I plan to dive in the Mediterranean sea (water temperature 23°C to 25°C - above the water temperature 30°C - 40°C).

The advantages of the undergarment for the drysuit are that it should offer thermal protection for more time (good for deco diving), and I could combine it with lighter base layers for slightly cooler waters (which is better than using the BZ400, the only undergarment I have now). However, when I need to take the boat to reach the diving spot, I'll be too warm, increasing the risks of dehydration (and deco accidents).

The advantage of the wetsuit is that I will be way more comfortable, especially during long trips on the boat. Disadvantages are: it is not suitable for tech dives (but I will find other solutions for the few tech dives I do), and there is no buoyancy redundancy (and the double 12 are heavy!)

I tend to be more oriented towards the drysuit undergarment, even if I worry a bit that I could find not a bit of issue in my recreational dives...

Am I missing something? What do you suggest?

Id go for lighter undergarments. In Greece, i hit 17 C water at 30 meters in the eastern Aegean. I was cold in my 5 mil. Another time i was more comfortable in a 7 mil and a hood at that depth. But i have a low tolerance for cold and love heat.

If i were to dive a dry suit in the Med (and i will when i move there), I'd zip up last minute and/or dump cold water on my head while zipped up.

Edit: IIRC some local to me GUE folks took their drysuits to the Red Sea on a liveaboard in winter and were glad they did. Seems somewhat comparable to the Med in summer.

For the water temp you're talking about, 23-25C, why even buy a special undersuit that's going to cost $$$? How about just picking up some wool thermals to wear underneath?

On the Santi website, it says the flex190 is good for 7-14 degrees...it looks much more robust than what you'd need in 25C water? Maybe the Flex80 would fit the bill better? But I feel like you could save some money going a different route...

For shorter dive times a wetsuit probably can function, i personally wear a FE arctic/ flex190 for temps between 17-25 for non deco dives and it works well for me

For the water temp you're talking about, 23-25C, why even buy a special undersuit that's going to cost $$$? How about just picking up some wool thermals to wear underneath?

On the Santi website, it says the flex190 is good for 7-14 degrees...it looks much more robust than what you'd need in 25C water? Maybe the Flex80 would fit the bill better?

Thanks for your reply; let me explain a bit more

Everyone I spoke with says that the temperature range shown on the SANTI website is completely wrong. People are using the flex190 for the temperature I mentioned and said that the flex80 is good for... warm swimming pools :) Besides, I often feel cold. I have already tried just some wool stuff, and it is too cold.

About the money, a 5mm wetsuit would cost something in the 250/300€ here, against the 360€ of the flex190. But I could use the flex190 also for other kinds of dives.

My only concern is: would I get too warm on a boat with the flex190? Is there any risk associated? How can I mitigate these risks? That's it

But I feel like you could save some money going a different route...

You mean by going wet?

For shorter dive times a wetsuit probably can function, i personally wear a FE arctic/ flex190 for temps between 17-25 for non deco dives and it works well for me

Are the non-deco dives that you mentioned shore or boat dives? If boat dives, do you take any actions to avoid overwarming?

Are the non-deco dives that you mentioned shore or boat dives? If boat dives, do you take any actions to avoid overwarming?

Boat dives, i find only wearing half the drysuit if possible a good solution, if not just pour water onto yourself that could work too. For shore dives i find it harder to deal with the heat especially for cave diving in spain, in those cases i sometimes decide to haul my doubles down to the cave before i wear my drysuit

The advantage of the wetsuit is that I will be way more comfortable, especially during long trips on the boat. Disadvantages are: it is not suitable for tech dives (but I will find other solutions for the few tech dives I do), and there is no buoyancy redundancy (and the double 12 are heavy!)

Mosty everyone I know dives like this, and during winter we put on another layer or crack open the drysuits, or not

Thanks for your reply; let me explain a bit more

Everyone I spoke with says that the temperature range shown on the SANTI website is completely wrong. People are using the flex190 for the temperature I mentioned and said that the flex80 is good for... warm swimming pools :) Besides, I often feel cold. I have already tried just some wool stuff, and it is too cold.

About the money, a 5mm wetsuit would cost something in the 250/300€ here, against the 360€ of the flex190. But I could use the flex190 also for other kinds of dives.

My only concern is: would I get too warm on a boat with the flex190? Is there any risk associated? How can I mitigate these risks? That's it

You mean by going wet?
im not sure but i think the flex 190 comes with and without the heating element? -i have the heated version
and with that they recommend another layer between the skin and the suit so its pretty warm even without the battery pack -personally i think it will be too warm for 25 plus degrees and your going to cook on the boat. i too really feel the cold so i have quite a selection of gear to wear depending on where Im going. deco time is a reference point

tropics i wear a 5mm wet up to 20 min deco more than that i also use merino undegarments anything longer than 40min I start to feel the cold
any thing less than 25 degree i use a dry suit and an appropriate undergarment
i use the santi suit with battery fro anything colder than 17degree and just turn the battery on at deco

have you considered a heated vest that you can wear with a wetsuit - one that you can control heat output

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom