wardrobe/layering strategy: step-in hooded vest or shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all!
Newbie here, been lurking and relying on this forum's advice since I was certified (much thanks!) but I have a specific question I couldn't find direct answers to in the archives so here I am.

I'm in the market for a lighter wetsuit to complement my 5mm full which I love because it fits so well. I'm keen that the new piece can be worn by itself but also can be a layering piece for maximum versatility, since I invariably dive multiple dives over multiple consecutive days (must travel to dive) and thus get colder over time.

The last time I dove a 3mm full in ~27°C/80°F (Hawaii August) I got very cold by the end. So I'm wondering if I should bypass a 3mm full completely and get one piece that will work simultaneously as 1) my suit for tropical waters like 29℃/85°F, and 2) a layer over my 5mm full in ~23°C/75°F (Okinawa December, where I also ended up very cold.)

Originally I was shopping for front-zip 3mm shortys. Then I discovered the Bare step-in hooded vests at 5mm and 7mm, which seem to have a solid reputation. Can you wear a step-in hooded vest by itself, as if a shorty, in warm water?

Do I even have the right approach/thinking or is this a fool's errand?

If I'd like to dive something cold ~12°C/55°F (like Monterey Bay) someday, at which point I'll acquire a 7mm full or a semi-dry, would a step-in hoodie or shorty be likely to be useful?

Thanks in advance!

So I'm wondering if I should bypass a 3mm full completely and get one piece that will work simultaneously as 1) my suit for tropical waters like 29℃/85°F, and 2) a layer over my 5mm full in ~23°C/75°F (Okinawa December, where I also ended up very cold.)

A 5mm hooded shorty is far from ideal in tropical waters. I'd just wear your 5mm. If you are getting cold in 80 with a 5mm, you'll also eventually get cold with a 3mm in 84.

The next piece I would get is a 1 or 3mm vest with hood. The hood adds a lot of warmth. That should be enough for Okinawa with your 5mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom