War Against Fatigue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccrprospect

Contributor
Reaction score
I got a heavy course coming up soon - some 6 days with multi hour long dives each day. I have been through similar courses before but by the fourth or fifth day it becomes quite a slog and fatigue sets in.

I try to hydrate well, avoid alcohol as much as possible, and eat and sleep well (easier said than done obviously). What about you? Share your fatigue busting strategies.

Tech courses? Two days on, one day off is optimum for me.

I can do 3-4 days in a row, but generally after that, I need a rest day. Six days in a row? No way. I can't do a good job teaching that much, let alone being the student.

Can't say if this will help you, but I keep some caffeine tablets in my car for simular problems. I've only used them a few times, but they work for me. I'm not a doctor and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn, be advised.

Can't say if this will help you, but I keep some caffeine tablets in my car for simular problems. I've only used them a few times, but they work for me. I'm not a doctor and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn, be advised.
Would an espresso (or two) not have a similar effect?

6 days in a row of multi hour diving? What, your girlfriend just won't beat you with a whip hard enough? Sleeping on a bed of nails becoming too comfortable? Soaking your junk in ice water just not doing the trick? Are you paying for this?

Would an espresso (or two) not have a similar effect?
Probably would except that it might not be handy at the time. I keep them in my car and motorcycle for "emergencies."

I got a heavy course coming up soon - some 6 days with multi hour long dives each day. I have been through similar courses before but by the fourth or fifth day it becomes quite a slog and fatigue sets in.

I try to hydrate well, avoid alcohol as much as possible, and eat and sleep well (easier said than done obviously). What about you? Share your fatigue busting strategies.
It sounds like a GUE T1 curriculum, even if in that case is not multiple divers per day but usually 1 long dive per day and then theory: multiple dives of more hours for 6 days never heard of it. It is definitely a stress on your body.
There is not a single strategy to use: eat well (especially during the training, time can be limited but insist on having proper meals and not burger and fries), drink well (avoid alcohol even if minimum quantity) and avoid caffeine after mid day…..and have fun!! 😀

When I did a 6+ day tech course, I took a break after day 4 I think

Its not about physical fatigue, but more so to give your brain time to digest all the info you received

You know yourself best, but I would personally take a break after day 3

Reserve a hotel with breakfast service as close to the dive center or marina as possible even if it costs a bit more. This will allow you to sleep a few extra minutes.

Hypothermia is a huge factor in fatigue. Make sure your drysuit is in good shape and consider adding another layer of undergarments. Get an extra thick hood. Inflating with argon instead of air might help a bit; scientific studies don't show a significant difference but subjectively it feels warmer to me (maybe just my imagination).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom