Wanted - Volunteer Research Field Assistants, Lizard Island, Great Barrier Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for two volunteer field assistants to work on coral reef fish behaviour based at Lizard Island Research Station, northern Great Barrier Reef, Australia. You will be assisting my fieldwork as a graduate student based at the University of Cambridge, researching the social structure of the bicolor dwarf angelfish, Centropyge bicolor. The work will largely consist of daily fish behaviour field observations, by diving or snorkeling. This is a great opportunity for anybody looking for marine biology or behavioural ecology research experience, and of course the setting could not be bettered!

3 or 6 month positions are available: October to December 2007, and/or January to March 2008.

Accommodation, diving and food expenses will be provided for, but you must cover all other expenses (travel, personal incidentals, etc.)

You must have at minimum PADI Rescue Diver certification (or equivalent) and experience diving tropical reefs. Some relevant field research experience, being a hard worker and a strong interest in marine biology and behavioural ecology is also preferred.

Please send applications (CV and cover letter) or enquiries by PM, and I will take it from there by email.

Thanks for reading! Looking forward to your responses.

Just wanted to add, that I'm now only advertising for PADI Advanced Open Water (minimum 30 dives) as a prerequisite -- I'd previously put down Rescue as an extra safeguard against getting people with too little diving experience to be quite suitable.

I think of this as a fantastic opportunity not only to dive off a pristine tropical island on the Great Barrier Reef for several months, but also to gain invaluable marine biology experience, with almost all expenses paid for! Am very keen to hear from some of you divers out there...

If you would rather not simply pm, email is fine: tzozen at gmail dot com.

Back
Top Bottom