Wanted -- "Silent World."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
For what seems like forever I have been collecting foreign and unique editions of the Silent World. so far I have the following

Die Schweigende Welt -German -2 different editions & diferent dust jacket

Den Tause verden-- Swiss --I think

The Silent world - British 1953

Russian 2003

Readers Digest edition, Spring 1953 (very rare in bibliophile collectors condition)

National Geographic edition--2007 (?)

And of course a number of paper backs.

I am interested in expanding my collection..Spanish, French, Italian, and whatever else I can locate.

I am especially interested in the edition translated by Antonio Ribera of Barcelona who was one of the first to translate the Silent world from English to Spanish. Last time I was in Barcelona I checked all over the town but could not find a copy.

Any one have any foreign Silent Worlds they would consider trading or selling?
If so PM ......
sdm

Sam when are you out of the house?... I want to rummage there (just kidding, kinda!)

For what seems like forever I have been collecting foreign and unique editions of the Silent World. so far I have the following

Die Schweigende Welt -German -2 different editions & diferent dust jacket

Den Tause verden-- Swiss --I think

The Silent world - British 1953

Russian 2003

Readers Digest edition, Spring 1953 (very rare in bibliophile collectors condition)

National Geographic edition--2007 (?)

And of course a number of paper backs.

I am interested in expanding my collection..Spanish, French, Italian, and whatever else I can locate.

I am especially interested in the edition translated by Antonio Ribera of Barcelona who was one of the first to translate the Silent world from English to Spanish. Last time I was in Barcelona I checked all over the town but could not find a copy.

Any one have any foreign Silent Worlds they would consider trading or selling?
If so PM ......
sdm

Do you know if it was translated into Greek? I'm flying out there Sunday and would be happy to pick you up a copy if I can find one. I'd ask my dive contacts there.

@wetb4igetinthewater
Greek ? Heck yes-- that is a big HECK YES ! However I do not know if the Silent World was ever translated in to Greek ...If it was and in any condition at a reasonable price Grab it!

@MaxBottomtime
@Nicholai
@Akimbo
@RainPilot
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I thank each and every one of you individually and collectively for your efforts.

The original publication date of JYCs book The silent world was in 1953and was printed in English. That was 65 years ago- good bibliophile collectors editions are becoming increasingly rare and certainly increasing expensive.

I originally collected a number of paper back editions just because they were available and inexpensive,
my main collection has always been hard back with dust covers in good to mint condition
I still demand and only collect if possible hard back with dust covers in good to mint condition ( good luck in finding a copy in mint condition)

@MaxBottomtime I thank you for the heads up on the Spanish edition -- can now check one off my want list
I am still interested in the edition translated by Antonio Ribera of Barcelona who was one of the first to translate the Silent world from English to the language of Barcelona which is Catalan.

@Nicholai
I do not read Danish but I did see Victor Borge three times and laughed so much my pants too 3 weeks to dry
could you read the description and advise if it is paper back or hard cover with a dust jacket --- most important price and shipping cost . Thanks in advance

@RainPilot Thank you for your e Bay review. There was only one of interest and that was the UK version - the one with the non descript cover which I have. I certainly do appreciate your efforts -- bibliophilia aka books collecting is like an Easter egg hunt-- look every where you never know what is under the next rock

@aquacat8 I have a few books -- I began collecting as a youth and never stopped -- read about 50 to 60 % of them.. some just look at the pictures -- I will send you a PM on them

A big thanks to all

Sam, Miller, 111

@Sam Miller III,

There are a couple big book stores in Athens that I will check out. There's another book in English that I want in Greek. Wish me luck.

Kosta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom