Wanted: Instructor/Manager/PhotoPro position in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Due to my love for the ocean, I aim to switch to scuba tourism after a successful academic career. Desired start date is October 2014 to January 2015. I also aim to continue my underwater photography and popular science writing efforts, which will promote my future workplace. I am interested in a position in the coral triangle, preferentially in the Philippines.

Personal Data:
Dr. Klaus M. Stiefel
Born Dec. 3rd, 1972
Austrian citizen, single
Languages: German (native), English (quasi-native), Visayan (advanced), Japanese (basic).
Scuba Diving Qualifications:
TDI Hypoxic Trimix Diver (2010, Matt Reed, Evolution Diving Malapascua)
NAUI Divemaster (2011, Doug Bennett, Reef Encounters Okinawa)
PADI Open Water Scuba Diving Instructor (2014, Carl Fallon, Abyss Scuba Diving Sydney)
PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor (2014)*
PADI Project AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor (2014)*
PADI Project AWARE Shark Conservation Specialty Instructor (2014)
PADI Search and Rescue Specialty Instructor (2014)
PADI Deep Diving Specialty Instructor (2014)
PADI Oxygen Provider Specialty Instructor (2014)
PADI Enriched Air Specialty Instructor (2014)
* these qualifications are a part of the PADI OWSDI.

University Education:
Mag. rer. nat. (undergraduate degree): Microbiology, University of Vienna, 1998.
Doctorate: Zoology, University of Vienna & Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Frankfurt, 2002.

Dive Tourism Experience:
Co-organized and led the Evolution Photoganza in collaboration with Evolution Diving, Malapascua, Philippines, in 2012, 2013 and 2014. The Photoganza is an underwater photography and marine biology workshop in one of the Philippines’ top diving spots.
Part-time teaching and guiding at Abyss Scuba Diving, Sydney since April 2014. Teaching of the PADI Project AWARE Shark Conservation Specialty.

14136704105_9ea4e6d668.jpg
Photoganza13_sml.jpg

Academic Employment:

In the course of my academic career, I have been managing, at certain times, a research group with up to 5 members.

December 2011 – Present
Researcher at the University of Western Sydney
Sydney, Australia

November 2006 – September 2011
Principal Investigator at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
Okinawa, Japan

June 2002 – July 2006
Researcher at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies
San Diego, California, United States

Underwater Photography & Popular Publishing:
My underwater nature photographs have been featured in several printed scuba diving publications, books, and a multitude of blogs and websites. I am a regular contributor to Scubadiverlife.com. A picture of a thresher shark I took in the Philippines was featured on a magazine cover (see below). I have won a number of photo contests, and as of August 2014, my Flickr photostream has drawn 2.1 million views.
8368982117_d778b7fb7d.jpg

6213565006_d1d43709a9.jpg

1st place, Animal Behaviour, photo competition at the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium, 2012, Cairns, Australia.

I have exhibited my underwater photography at the Blank Space Gallery (Sydney) in 2013 and at the Campus gallery of the University of Western Sydney in 2014.

In print:

“Eyes, Camera, Action!”, article in Scientific American Mind, April 2014 (with Dr. Alex Holcombe).

“Sex, Drugs and Scuba Diving”, book, 2012, a popular science account of marine biology and the history of the Pacific Ocean.

Academic Publishing:

I have published 24 papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals and 5 book chapters on the topics of neurobiology, evolution and fish biology.

Web Presence:

www.pacificklaus.com
www.flickr.com/pacificklaus
twitter.com/Pacificklaus
www.facebook.com/SexDrugsAndScubaDiving

Dr. Klaus M. Stiefel
The MARCS Institute, University of Western Sydney
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith, NSW 2751
Australia
Tel. +61 (0)4 5239 1235
klaus@pacificklaus.com

Possible Future Directions:

I aim to provide top quality scuba tourism services at my future workplace, plus:
- Establish the dive base as a prime underwater photography destination. My own, well-exposed, photographic work will draw attention to your operation and diving location, and will especially attract photographers aiming to shoot the same fantastic subjects. My expertise and a dedicated infrastructure (camera room, spare parts, ect.) will provide an ideal infrastructure for this demanding clientele. Organizing regular photo workshops like the Photoganza I am currently co-organizing in the Philippines is an option.
- Many divers enjoy learning more about the animals in the ocean, and I excel at teaching popular science marine biology. I both know a lot about marine biology and can explain it well to the interested layman. I can teach this both casually and in organized seminars and workshops.
- Establish the dive base/area as a marine biology research location. My contacts in the marine biology community will allow me to establish your operation as a field station for biological research, besides being a resort. Important for this goal will be 1. My expertise 2. My survey activity on location, giving researchers a good estimate which species to expect when and where 3. Specific infrastructure and aid (sampling permission paperwork, sampling tools, aquaria, automated camera gear, ect.).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom