Wanted Wanted: Budget Backplate/Harness/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pizzajohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been diving with a jacket and want to try out a backplate setup. Pretty open to anything just to start giving it a shot and see if it is for me hence the budget part. I'm open to material of backplate and really any setup. I prefer a wing with less lift. I already have an inflator so no need for that part.

I'm located in Hawaii, area code: 96746

Thanks in advance!!

Been diving with a jacket and want to try out a backplate setup. Pretty open to anything just to start giving it a shot and see if it is for me hence the budget part. I'm open to material of backplate and really any setup. I prefer a wing with less lift. I already have an inflator so no need for that part.

Thanks in advance!!
Dive gear express BPW starting at $399.

I do have a 2 used Halcyon systems. I have one ALM and one SS. They are $500 CAN ( roughly $392 US) each plus shipping. Please let me know if this interests you and I can send you pictures. They are in great shape !

To try it out, I'd recommend seeing if there's anyone in the area you could borrow one from for a couple dives. If you were anywhere near me I'd offer (or if a trip to Hawaii was in the cards for me!). Failing that, if you want super budget options and you are handy, all of it can be made. The raised spine on factory backplates is meant for doubles (unecessary for single tank), so a flat plate can be cut by hand pretty easy. Harness is just webbing and hardware (plenty of YouTube videos showing how to rig it). Wing, buy used or if you're super DIY make your own (I do). I built a BPW for a buddy for under $100 total (without 3d printing any parts).

Respectfully,

James

Thanks in advance!!
@Engine173 is local (ish)

Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback! I think I am going to try making my own and see how it goes. I'm pretty handy and I had no idea how basic the whole thing was!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom