Want to work on my CFWA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Would taking the rig into a pool (most of my diving these days is lobstering) hel me get my CFWA groove on? I mostly shoot macro lately with all the surge and limited viz.

I have access to a pool, and I was thinking it'd be a good way for me to work on some technique (stability, settings, etc.) obviously a pool isn't the ocean, but I do want to get in some shooting with the 10.5.

Thoughts?

K

We have a group that meets around here to do just that. We put a "reef" in the pool, take pictures of it and then project them on the wall to discuss them. I have found it very helpful. It helps if you include a wide range of colors from white to dark and items from fish size to tiny on your "reef". It helps you dial in the amount of strobe and F-stop you need.
Here are a few photos from one of our shoots.
http://ncdivers.com/cpg133/thumbnails.php?album=25

herman:
We have a group that meets around here to do just that. We put a "reef" in the pool, take pictures of it and then project them on the wall to discuss them. I have found it very helpful. It helps if you include a wide range of colors from white to dark and items from fish size to tiny on your "reef". It helps you dial in the amount of strobe and F-stop you need.
Here are a few photos from one of our shoots.
http://ncdivers.com/cpg133/thumbnails.php?album=25

Sweet.

In-laws have a lap pool - I think I'll drag a bunch of stuff over there and have at it.

I would love to do this in a bigger pool on a bigger scale - like one of the instructional pools at one of the Scuba Shops, or maybe at the Pepperdine pool or something. Sort of have a SoCal photo dive in, you know?

I need to knock this around a bit. We get 7 - 15 people and we can build a cool temporary reef and make a day of it - with a shoot, some pool time, lunch and Crit.

I dig it. I really dig it. If I can get one of the SoCal dive centers or UW photo centers involved, now we're getting some place. Equipment review / test drive (think DUI DOG days) local pros on hand to assist. Selling some gear, trading some gear.

What a great way to spend a winter afternoon.

I am so all over this.

Thanks for the spark.

---
Ken

CFWA - general rule of thumb I heard is you want ideally abut a foot long foreground subject about a foot away.

Use powerful strobes.

Use fstop to control foreground exposure, shutter speed to control background exposure, higher shutter speed will yield a darker background.

If you want blue, expose to the blue, using shutter speed to get your desired exposure, then adjust f stop for the foreground, blues should stay the same.

COmposition wise, try to get a secondary subject in the background -- girls in bikinis in the pool would work well :)

I'm also thinking I could use a pool session to get my Sealion groove on, too. Dome focus / infinite focus shooting fast moving doggies UW. My stinker-to-keeper ratio in Sealion shots is completely unacceptable right now.

K

I used Shutter priority in the galapagos with sea lions, hadn't ever used that setting before, worked pretty well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom