Want to try the Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yes people it's been a year!! Headed back to central FL. to visit and kick back for a few. Tried the east side of FL. last Jan at this time and the weather turned to crap!! 5-7' seas and rain and just plain lousy. Yeah, yeah, I know, it happens!! Looking for some recommendations for some operators or shore dives around or south of Clearwater to Bonita Springs. Water temps would also be handy before I pack. Looking to travel Tue and Wed ending up at Placid Lakes. Don't mind driving an hour or so to get where ever on the coast. I will also need to rent a tank, I am leaving mine home, I think! Any and all suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance!!:blinking:

Tried the above by phone and email. Got an automated email response instead of any answers to the questions asked. Phone # went to a womens phone. Let a message just in case, alas no reply!!
Any more suggestions????

Often when I call to book dives with captain Rod & get ahold of his wife who books our dives.
I would think you will hear back from them soon.

Often when I call to book dives with captain Rod & get ahold of his wife who books our dives.
I would think you will hear back from them soon.
Yep, heard back!!! Seems as though all you's in FL are wusses!!! They shut down operations when the water gets cool! 70* water is warm compared to most. Hell, we chainsaw though ice to dive here!! Any one else in the area that would possibly be running yet?:confused:

I know this is a long shot but,,,,,,,any shore diving ares???

Head a bit south over the skyway bridge and go fossil hunting in Venice Beach... Not much to see but certainly something got do shore diving wise... Search threads to find best locations and parking and equipment rental availability and whatnot.

Yep, heard back!!! Seems as though all you's in FL are wusses!!! They shut down operations when the water gets cool! 70* water is warm compared to most. Hell, we chainsaw though ice to dive here!! Any one else in the area that would possibly be running yet?:confused:

I know this is a long shot but,,,,,,,any shore diving ares???

Spanish Rocks on Holmes Beach/Anna Maria Island is a nice shore dive with lots of stuff to see(check my youtube link below); Vis is usually low, however, it's an easy dive.

Also, if you call ScubaQuest in Bradenton they might hook you up with a boat that goes out this time of the year. I was told it's been pretty rough out in the Gulf lately, so maybe better to stick with the shore dives.

Thanks to all for the info!!!!Gonna Boogie that way in the AM. Again thanks!!:D

I've never dove with them, but I've heard good things about Scuba Diving Clearwater Florida - Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters - Best Gulf Coast Diving - Dive Boat. It's a very good possibility the weather could be crap again for you by the way, it's usually windy all winter long. And this year it seems to be raining more than usual. As far as water temps they're in the mid to low 60's.

I've dove the Sheridan with Tanks-A-Lot, they are excellent. That site is a little far out there (20 miles offshore) so it costs a hair more than a regular dive (around $100) but the vis is better that far out.

It was one of my favorite dives. I'd definitely recommend going with them.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom