want to make uv scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You also would need air to run the engin.. or some sort of air to support cumbustion.. That was an idea my buddy and I thought about... the one way valve.. I am not 100% sure if it would stal the engin.. but would it hold up under pressure???

Firediver:
You also would need air to run the engin.. or some sort of air to support cumbustion.. That was an idea my buddy and I thought about... the one way valve.. I am not 100% sure if it would stal the engin.. but would it hold up under pressure???

The US Navy researched the use of stirling engines for DPV's. Problem is, they are expensive though technically very simple. They were going to use a gas reclaim system for the exhaust.

Basically you just pass the exhaust through a closed-circuit re-breather type circuit topping up when required with Oxygen (or Nitrox?). This is NOT a lightweight! More likely along the lines of the K10 Hydrospeeder :wub:

Had some thoughts along the lines of a one-way valve and using a separate chamber before the valve to support an increase the internal/external pressure difference.

Best thought yet is to use a flexible chamber for the exhaust/intake air and run the engine at a higher ambient pressure. The intake and exhaust would be at the same pressure so preventing stalling problems. However I guess it would use a fair bit more fuel (both air and gas)! Would solve the problem of back-pressure on the one-way valve though!

Not sure if this idea is going anywhere. All seems so easy in theory! Anybody any confidence in something like this working in real life?

hey guys

does anyone have plans for a nice dpv? i am currently making one but the only thing i am facing is how to seal the motor. or shouldi just buy a trolling motor? wouldnt it be affected at high depth? or should i just buy a normal motor, put a thick rubber coat on all sides leaving a small hole for the axle and then attach a propellor? i need some feedback plz. i finished school and im starting to get bored!!!

thanks guys

Jay

JonnyB:
Anyone made one? I am playing with the idea of using an old aluminium tank that i have as the body of the scooter? Are there any plans out on the net for this?

Regards
Jonny
Stay away from a tank. Way to many easy to use materials out there which are better.

Here is some info I just posted on another thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=596761#post596761

Gary D.

I use a very powerfull starter engine from a car 4500 watts and a old hand held (not electric) skrewdriver to get down the rpm from 4000rpm to 1200rpm works great:)
a small plastic boatpropp from a johnson 6hp.
I use two ordinary car batterys 70ah,60ah ,am i stupid?, i,m not but they where cheap.
the body is a simpel plywood construction coated with glassfiber for boats.
total cost 200sek (batterys)'

Im from sweden if you wondering about the bad spelling.

matiff_

I think an air powered engine could be the best way in order to use a tank as body..this makes 2 funtions at the same time..

first..this keep air at high pressures that gives pressure to a small piston multi expansion based engine made using composites materials like teflon, delrin or something like this for the bodies,,,second have a good enough bouyancy features..some people have made test using prototipes with this idea for a long time..i think a 2 camera design is the way to go...mono camera has too many drawbacks...

a stirling engine for a dpv is a little crazy....the system is tricky even in submarines..i can not imagine something simple enough in this smaller vehicle...(it is not an oxidant problem issue only) :06:

will_tekkie:
I think an air powered engine could be the best way in order to use a tank as body..this makes 2 funtions at the same time..

first..this keep air at high pressures that gives pressure to a small piston multi expansion based engine made using composites materials like teflon, delrin or something like this for the bodies,,,second have a good enough bouyancy features..some people have made test using prototipes with this idea for a long time..i think a 2 camera design is the way to go...mono camera has too many drawbacks...

a stirling engine for a dpv is a little crazy....the system is tricky even in submarines..i can not imagine something simple enough in this smaller vehicle...(it is not an oxidant problem issue only) :06:

I more affordable way to use air pressure in a tank is to attach a first stange reg. the IP port will provide air at 125PSI wich is exactly what air powered mechanic's tools require. Can you attach a prop to an pnuematic drill? Drills come with built-in on/off switches too
an AL80 tank might be abe to power a drill motor for 15 minutes of so.

Or maybe just use the stored 3000 psi air as a rocket or jet.

Spent alot of time recearching this back in the late 80's. I had some talks with a helpful engineer from Minn-Kota (the trolling motor people). He gave me quite a bit of off the record advice. Apparently, quite a few people had had good success using their motors for some pretty high budget ROV's.

If I remember right, the factory seals will fail at about 10'. You need to fill the motor with oil. (mineral oil if I remember right). You also need to create a flexible chamber to keep the unit from leaking oil or sucking in seawater due to temperature changes. I think one method used was to hole saw a hole in the case of the motor and cover with a rubber diaphram.

Good luck.

( I was working on plans for a sled-like open diver vehicle)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom