want to dive near london in july

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eternaljonah

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello hello.....
i will be coming to visit a friend in england this summer july, and would love to do a dive or more to see what conditions and dive life is like in the london area. am not planning on bringing any gear since i'll be coming from india, but could bring some thing, is there anyone out there with some extra gear and the time to show me some of the local sites, would be ever so grateful. i'm an padi and tdi instructor could maybe trade some class's or ? for some dives :) Thanks :)

Your last comment will not endear you to anyone so I would respectfully suggest you edit that post.

Most UK divers visit other sites such as www.yorkshire-divers.com or www.thediveforum.com so few UK divers will have read your post.

You need to spell out if you wish to sea dive or would be happy to dive at an inland site. Most experienced UK divers are not happy to jump in the sea with someone they've just met so you might find it useful to meet up with someone at an inland site first.

Also arranging sea dives on boats can be difficult at this time of year as quite a lot of boat spaces are prebooked over the winter months.

Exposure equipment - the sea in July is about 12/13C on the south coast so a 7mm or drysuit would be advisable. Inland sites are about the same with the exceptiion of Wraysbury which might be about 15C by then.

I felt a bit guilty after that comment but the practicalities are that its not that easy to rock up to the UK and just go diving...

You are going to need a drysuit OR a reasonable wetsuit.. I dived a 6.5mm semi for a long time and that was borderline enjoyable..

London has one dive site, Wraysbury, it will cost about £100 to have a guided tour and hire all the kit...would i bother ... nope... its a silty/shallow (13m) lake with some things to look at ... There is also Stoney Cove about 2hrs north of London which might do complete kit hire also... Vobster Quay or Chepstow NDAC... again further away... all lakes...

If you want to see what UK diving is all about you need to head to the coast and find a dive school ... not many to choose from as most diving is club or shop based... If you really want to dive... and I can understand the urge :wink: ... you are going to have to travel 2-5hrs to get to the coast from London... Email/Call these folks .. they might be able to sort u out...

Dive Centre - Diving Courses / Boat Charter / Dive Shop - Weymouth / Portland

Scimitar Diving | Dive Charters | PADI & SSI Dive Schools | Covering Dorset from Weymouth & Portland

Dive Equipment, Plymouth Diving & Courses - Aquanauts - Dive Equipment, Plymouth Diving & Courses - Aquanauts

In Deep Diving Centre, Plymouth, Devon, South West, England, UK

Maybe if you did a course that might make it easier to engage with these folks...

John

BTW... My advice would be to take a few days away from London and aim for Weymouth/Plymouth, vis is generally better the further west you go.. <but not always>...as a previous poster has said... check out the UK diving forums... alot of chatter over there...

Last edited:
hey dblumer and johnnohuk thanks alot :) the 2nd comment was just to try and nudge some info out. :)

i teach diving full time here in india mainly recreational but some tech too. all my diving has been tropical and when last year we had a cold (21 C) current mysteriously pass by we all complained how cold it was so would be nice to try 12/13 C. but as i'm coming to england any way i though, it would be great to see what diving is like in that side of the world, happy to dive in a puddle type. if it nitrox in a puddle even better. will have a look at those forms and dc's and see what happens. thanks again guys... :)

hey dblumer and johnnohuk thanks alot :) the 2nd comment was just to try and nudge some info out. :)
Its most likely turned most UK divers off from reading any more of the thread.
i teach diving full time here in india mainly recreational but some tech too. all my diving has been tropical and when last year we had a cold (21 C) current mysteriously pass by we all complained how cold it was so would be nice to try 12/13 C. but as i'm coming to england any way i though, it would be great to see what diving is like in that side of the world, happy to dive in a puddle type. if it nitrox in a puddle even better. will have a look at those forms and dc's and see what happens. thanks again guys... :)
Generally fresh water diving is for training and checking out equipment, the real diving is done in the sea.

If you’re not used to buoyancy changes from a suit (wet or dry) you really should be looking at a dry-suit course. Commercial schools (any agency) or clubs (BSAC or SAA) can do these for you.

The BSAC club finder is here.

Kind regards

Might as well revive this old thread rather than start a new one. I'm gonna be in the London area from July 29 to Aug 2. It looks like I'll have a couple of days to muck about if any of my U.K. buddies have any time! I'd be happy in the sea looking at a wreck or two, cave diving, or something a bit more pedestrian if anyone prefers. If there's just no way to get in the water while I'm in town I'd still like to sit around and share some pints and tall tales. At this point I have a day for sure and prolly two to myself.

Might as well revive this old thread rather than start a new one. I'm gonna be in the London area from July 29 to Aug 2. It looks like I'll have a couple of days to muck about if any of my U.K. buddies have any time! I'd be happy in the sea looking at a wreck or two, cave diving, or something a bit more pedestrian if anyone prefers. If there's just no way to get in the water while I'm in town I'd still like to sit around and share some pints and tall tales. At this point I have a day for sure and prolly two to myself.
facebook message sent your way

Got it Riv, Thank You! it looks like I'll be around for the local club pool session and ale drinking date as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom