Want to buy bcd and regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im new to diving wanting to buy bcd and regs. I want good gear to use but im not going to be diving that much. At some time i will dive murky water so i do know they have to be sealed, i am more comfortable with stainless backplate and wing bcd. Iv only used scuba pro and sherwood regs to me i couldnt tell difference. Ive seen hog and all the other brands and im lost any help would be appreciated

What brand scuba pro, cressi, hog would 1800 be good price for bcd, balanced regs and dive computer

If you're just starting, consider good used gear. It'll save you $800 or more off your number above, and give you some time to develop some equipment prejudices. :D

Scubapro's only sealed regs are diaphragms. Also consider a used Aqualung Legend set for good value in diaphragms. If you're indeed more comfortable in BP/W, then the Vintage Double Hose referral was a good one for new gear with value.
Perhaps most important, get regs of a brand you can have serviced easily: either locally at a shop you trust, or by mail to a shop you trust.

So many choices, it's a little hard to advise you. You'll hear from fans of HOG, Deep 6, Apeks and Scubapro, here. So perhaps tell us a little more of your hopes and requirements. You can easily spend less than $1,800 for superb new gear, depending on what you want for bells and whistles in your computer.

Requirements- Work, reliable
I will be diving in lake that is dark water at times, its 0 viz at any depth.
Hopes- buy something good first time to last.
Bells and whistles i like simple

Requirements- Work, reliable
I will be diving in lake that is dark water at times, its 0 viz at any depth.
Hopes- buy something good first time to last.
Bells and whistles i like simple

Viz has nothing to do with reg performance. Temp does. Get a sealed reg. AL Legend or Apeks XTX50 are my votes.

For regs I agree with the enviro seal since it'll be murky (could be particles in water? Dirty?), sealed is even better for colder water.

I have been using Apeks for a while and I love their second stages (mtx-r - x2), and my first stage is a SP MK17. I don't really think you could go wrong with any Apeks or Scubapro given an enviro seal, or really any brand for that matter. I plan to switch over to the Apeks DST 5-port in the near future.

If you're going Apeks, go with a DST first and XTX50/MTX-R seconds.
Scubapro, MK17 and a couple G260s.

Of course their are many other options, and this is my opinion.

Outside of those brands, I can't really recommend anything regulator related. However, I'm sure others will chime in with other brands. Again, there is a lot of good to choose from so you really can't go wrong. I would just recommend the enviro seal regardless of brand. What you can have serviced near you will also be a factor.

In terms of a BCD, I'd go with a BP/W, as you seem to have mentioned. Dive Rite is good, so are a few other brands. I personally recommend Halcyon, but if cost is a factor, Dive Rite is a great option. DGX (Dive Gear Express) has some good packages as well, so that might be worthwhile to look into.

- Jake

Iv only used scuba pro and sherwood regs to me i couldnt tell difference

Sherwood is environmentally sealed and seem to me to be quite reliable. I still use my Magnum from '80 for my pony reg, and my go to reg is a Blizzard from 2010.

Bob

Look at a set that's good for 2 years between service intervals. Ex. Deep 6 > HOG.

My local dive shop mostly stocks things that makes sense for the local conditions, so perhaps you could find a similar-minded shop to narrow down the selection a bit?

Back
Top Bottom