Want to build a tank storage rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I want to build a storage rack so I can store my tanks horizontal. My issue in planning is weight.

Planning for worst future possible storage.

Bottom will have double hp 100 tanks.

Next will be a HP 120 or 149

Next double lp50 tanks

Next 2 AL 80's.

What would be good inexpensive materials to build this out of?

I was thinking some kind of tubing.

I use IKEA wire rack shelving.

I have 4-6 tanks (depends on diameter) per level.

130’s, LP85’s on the bottom, 80’s, 85’s, 40’s and 30’s on a few more levels.

CCR/DPV and associated specialty tools above that, and Kegs of Sorb on the very top.

They also have nice little hanging ‘baskets’ that are handy for small things to put on the ends (or a rear shelf like I use).

4 sections total (2 deep, 2 high).

95647649-B228-4D20-AE7C-D77CD1E68C8B.jpeg
_R

don't use pressure treated woods. Tanks don't like it...Where are you storing them horizontally? Mine is out of 2x4's

How did you attach the wood in order to have it not collapse from the weight?

Store bought ones are two big for my area.

Really? What does this mean?

the chemicals apparently don't react well with the tanks. I can't find the reference, but it's something I've remembered for a while. It's something with the chemicals used to treat it. Either way, they are probably stored indoors so there is no reason to use PT for indoor use.

Tbone is right. PT and metal is no good. A common mistake people make when installing fences with metal screws or bunks for aluminum boats.

I built one several years ago for the cabin of my old boat. I used expanded PVC board because it was on the water. If this is just sitting in a garage I would just use plywood and not go to the trouble of cutting circles and trying to support it. Instead I'd just make typical shelving.

I'll just get non PT studs and seal them with a sealing primer then paint them.

I'll just get non PT studs and seal them with a sealing primer then paint them.

consider leaving them raw. There will be abrasion from the bottles sliding in and out and the paint will not be pretty for long. The bottles are negligibly wet when they go in the racks and likely dry so no reason to paint

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom